Doctor/Pharmacy rant

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Man these guys are pure scammers.<br /><br />I just paid 15 bucks for cough medicine that was prescribed by the doctor. I can buy it over the counter for 6. I wish I would have checked on what exactly the medicine is before I put the prescription in.<br /><br />Then of course they always have to include the NEW drugs which also just so happen to be the EXPENSIVE drugs.<br /><br />NEW doesnt always mean that it is better. Hopefully this time the NEW drug will be better.<br /><br />Ken

bubbakat

Captain
Re: Doctor/Pharmacy rant

The doctor always writes on that little piece of paper and it says<br />I got a bunch out of him and now its your turn. :D

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

A thought I had, who sought out who? Did you go to the doctor and ask for him/her make you fel better? Or did the doctor solicit you?<br /><br />Ok, irony aside, hellthcare is ridiculously expensive isn't it? I thank God that we have good insurance though the Mrs' work. Sometimes it really feels like bubbakat is 100% on the money. <br />err bad reference. :)

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by bubbakat:<br /> The doctor always writes on that little piece of paper and it says<br />I got a bunch out of him and now its your turn. :D
Is that what it says? I couldnt read a word of that chicken scratching. :D <br /><br />David, there are many many choices of drugs for doctors to prescribe. They always seem to pick the newest ones, and really where is the proof that the newest ones work any better than the old ones. You would think the drug companies would proudly proclaim how much better their drugs are than the old ones. I dont think I have ever seen that ad.<br /><br />Ken

Drowned Rat

Captain

Ken, next time ask your doctor to prescribe a med. that is covered by your insurance and preferably one that can be made generically. Make a phone call to your ins. carrier from the Dr. office if you have to. If he can't do that, ask for samples. If they're pushing new drugs they usually have plenty of samples from the drug reps laying around.

D

DJ

Ok, irony aside, hellthcare is ridiculously expensive isn't it?
No disagreement here. Ever wonder why?<br /><br />The reason is the third party pay system. Since we recipients don't know, or care, what it costs, for the most part, they can charge whatever they want. Lawsuits are another contributing factor.<br /><br />If we all paid our own medical bills, there would be a revolution, in the industry, in short order.<br /><br />But, that will never happen. Americans are in love with healthcare. Just look at the profit and stock performance of the nations largest healthcare providers. It's through the roof, with no end in sight.<br /><br />Hillary started one of the most succesfull ad campaigns in American history-healthcare. She made us all believe that it was in short supply.<br /><br />It wasn't, it isn't, but we think it is. Anything that is perceived to be in short supply is highly sought by consumers.<br /><br />In short, we've been duped.

NYMINUTE

Captain

These bandits got their MO's from the politicians who represent them. It is criminal.

tylerin

Commander

Be careful KenImpZoom it also causes diahrea, backache, vomiting, drowsiness, high blood pressure, impotence, bowell dialation, poor eyesight, chest pains, skin rash, but heck if it gets rid of that cold your doing ok

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

My drug insurance is a joke, it has a 40 dollar deductable. One time they couldnt get my insurance to work so I just said how much is it. They replied 42.50. I said, it aint worth it for 2.50 so I just paid full price.<br /><br />They do usually give samples of some of the drugs. I got a sample of Nasonex this time.<br /><br />The only medicines they dont have low cost alternatives for are the newer antibiotics. Unfortunately, you have to use the newer antibiotics cause all the old ones dont work anymore.<br /><br />So in the end, I should just shut up and realize that if there wasnt tons of money to be made in drugs, then companies wouldnt have any motivation to come up with new ones.<br /><br />I do have to say that I am feeling much better today than I was yesterday.<br /><br />Ken

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br />
Originally posted by bubbakat:<br /> The doctor always writes on that little piece of paper and it says<br />I got a bunch out of him and now its your turn. :D
Is that what it says? I couldnt read a word of that chicken scratching. :D <br /><br />David, there are many many choices of drugs for doctors to prescribe. They always seem to pick the newest ones, and really where is the proof that the newest ones work any better than the old ones. You would think the drug companies would proudly proclaim how much better their drugs are than the old ones. I dont think I have ever seen that ad.<br /><br />Ken
Ken, I sincerely apologize if you thought I meant any disrespect. I totally agree with you. If the doctors would all act like mine does, you would have been prescribed an OTC if there was one that had all the same benefits. My doctor will spend more time explaining what he is doing, why he is doing it and how it will benefit you than he spends actually treating you. If you need a prescription, he tries to stick with the tried and true scripts of old. He reads up on new meds, not just what the reps say. If there is a clear benefit, he will prescribe it. He also spends a great deal of time explaining why you need the script, what it will do for you, how you are supposed to take it, and when you should see an effect. Heck, I switched to him when my old doc went too alternative for my liking. I asked for him to write me a new script for Flonase, which I had used for two years and had good results from. He still spent time with me explaining why I needed it and how to use it. And I benefited from that time. He gave me information I didn't already know. He's truly a rare doctor, with office hours til 8:00pm and same day service, if you call FIRST think in the AM.<br /><br />But again, I am sorry if you felt I was disrepectful. I feel bad. :(

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

Every time I have to go to the doctor or get a prescription filled I thank heavens that I stayed in the military for 21 years. And when I pay $115 per quarter for insurance to cover my wife and daughters I am doubly thankful. Now if the congress doesn't screw that up too...................

beniam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sad commentary on pharmaceutical companies, they spend more money on advertising than research!!!<br />Batavier

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I went to get the wifes prescription filled...<br /><br />for Cipro, a very common antibiotic<br /><br />For name brand it was a $100 copay :eek: <br />for generic it was $15<br /><br />Guess which one I picked.<br /><br />While waiting I noticed that the pharmacist had TUMS sitting on the shelves with all the other precription meds. I wonder how much a prescription of TUMS costs????<br /><br />Also, ever notice that when the doctor gives you "prescription stength" tylenol it is just a stronger dose of regular tylenol. In other words you could just take 4 over the counter tylenols to equal one prescription strength tylenol. Guess which one works out cheaper?<br /><br />Ken

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Hey guys it's no mystery here. I did taxes for butloads of doctors (back when I was in that business) and honest to God, the drug companies keep track of how many scripts they write for the new drugs. When the docs reach their "quota" they get invited for all-expense-paid "medical continuing education seminars" in Cancun or Aspen or Nassau or Vegas.<br /><br />But it works the other way also. One of my kids' alergy drugs was made available OTC. Now instead of a $10 co-pay it costs me $40! (I pay out the yingyang for "formulary" drugs whatever that means).<br /><br />It's a conspiracy, I tell ya, a conspiracy!