Dock line SHT's...

Ok folks, I have read and read and read the boat ramp follies, and had my laughs. :D Now it's time for me to tell of my SHT tricks :p:p:redface::redface:

after a good night of fishing, we both limited out on yellowtails, and discovered a new ... "leak" thats a whole new story in itself...for another time... anyway back to MY SHT. So we get back to the dock, retrieve the boat, clean the boat, flush the motor, clean the fish, wash all the gear down, put everything away, and part ways. (keep in mind, this is a 15ft flats boat with a 85 horsepower johnson, being towed by a 1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera FWD 4 cylinder - Never had a problem at any ramp in 3 years of owning it). I thought we put everything away and secured it for the trip to the storage facility, so I proceeded to head down the road. Everything goes fine till I decide to hit the highway (the shortcut)...I get up to about 65mph (thats a safe comfortable speed for my setup), and I'm driving...All the sudden I hear this horrendous noise and the trailer jerks wildly...after composing myself I pull off to the side of highway, to discover a fairly good size hole in the bow of the boat, and one of my ropes with a nice chunk of my bow on one end of it, laying in the ditch. It turns out, in my rush to get home, I forgot to take the bow rope off and stow it. And I ran it over going 65mph with the trailer tire, and ripped it off the bow, along with a peice of the boat.

Lesson learned here...make sure all your ropes are stowed away before leaving the boat ramp!!

Thank god I am a fiberglass man....that was an relatively easy fix :rolleyes:

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Dock line SHT's...

That gave me goose bumps from just reading about it.
Double check it all, especially when you've already checked it twice.

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

OUCH!!!!!

Thanks for pointing that one out. I've seen straps from tractor trailers come loose and catch a tire, never thought about a dock line.:eek:

Andy in NY

Commander

i did something similar, but not with the boat.

right after my daughter graduated from the infant car seat to a regular car seat... the newer ones have a seat belt type harness off the back to latch into newer cars instead of using the actual seatbelt. seems as though i had forgotten to make sure they were actually in the car because i didnt need to use them. they got caught in the door and were hanging out. me and the other 2 kids were on our way home from somewhere going about 40 and all the sudden i hear BANG! car still driving normally. i stop get out and look and see the belts hanging from the door. one of the buckles must have gotten caught in the wheel, as i now had a nice softball sized dent in the door. luckily she wasnt with me in her seat, theres a possibility it would have thrown her around had it grabbed hard enough...

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's posts like this that make me feel better when I am at the ramp and walk around the whole rig twice, get in the truck-only to then anally get out and look again because I'm so terrified I forgot something like this. People look at me funny sometimes, but it has avoided any trailer errors thus far.

skargo

Banned

I left my bow line on today, but luckily saw it in my rear view as I was starting to pull out.