Dock Edging

I am looking for a recommendation for dock edging for my wood dock.<br />I have a 25ft Larson Hampton (about 5000 lbs)and do not know which of the available edgings would be appropriate for that size boat. Basically I want something that will allow me to dock with a little more confidence that if I should nudge the dock, my hull will not suffer. There are bumpers, p-shaped and c-shaped edgings and vinyl docking wheels, styrofam, polyethylene, faom filled fabric covered. Too many choices and not enough info on which is applicable to what kind of boat.<br />Any suggestions?

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Dock Edging

Most of what you will find at various marine retailers such as iboats and others is for boats around your size. Larger commercial vessels, for example, tend to use different products - such as steel belted tires. The main thing is to effectively stop your boat from hitting something solid. Usually that means tying it down securely, using dock bumpers and some vinyl fenders on your boat. Positioning the dock bumpers where your boat is going to rub is important. Selecting the right fenders which will stay in place on your particular boat is important too.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Dock Edging

My boat weighs over 4000 lbs. I checked with boat supply stores, on line and hardware stores. There are a bunch of shapes available and the price range is amazing. I settled for a simple edge that is about 2 1/2" long on the side and 1 1/2" long on the top. There is a half circle on the long side. It has worked well for the last 3 years. I found it in a small mom & pop hardware store located near several marinas.