Do you remember ....

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Bugger deep questions about the meaning of life. What about when you were a kid or teen and alive without realising it and it all seemed so good?<br /><br />Wrap yourself up in your striped pyjamas and itchy tartan dressing gown, put on the felt slippers with the pom-poms on the front and go down to the drive-in with the family standing up with your chin on the back of the heavy vinyl front seat before seat belts had been heard of and go back in time to view these questions on the big, dim screen ......<br /><br />What is this from, and what follows? Meeska, Mooska ...<br /><br />Who is Cubby and what did he do?<br /><br />Who had a connection with the previous two answers and used to bounce up the beach yelling "Surf's up" to Frankie Avalon or Frankie someone?<br /><br />What's The Stomp? The Frug? <br /><br />Who spent ages making a studded belt and knew how to use it? (If so, what was its ultimate use, and who ever used it for that? - Me, twice.) <br /><br />What were lowering blocks? Who ever made a cheap set out of wood and fencing wire?<br /><br />What's a muu-muu, and why would it be interesting?<br /><br />What did you have to do regularly to ruin a feeler gauge with the motor running?<br /><br />What was a Coke Float, and what did you have to do with your straw in one to send the Dairy Queen man mental?<br /><br />Why would you put sandbags behind the rear wheel arches?<br /><br />And a few thousand other questions and answers from various eras that you can all put up to take us back to a different age when all we had to worry about was the nuclear war that could come over the horizon any moment.

D

DJ

Re: Do you remember ....

Yes, I do.<br /><br />We've lost our innocence.

SoulWinner

Commander

Hey Tink, sounds like you have about ten years on me, but I remember that stuff. Reminds me that I wish the government would stop passing laws designed to protect us from ourselves.

D

DJ

I wish the government would stop passing laws designed to protect us from ourselves.<br />
Trouble is, we're not protected from ourselves. We get rewarded when we do something stupid.<br /><br />It's called Tort.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Oh No, another 50+ thread.....Don't tell eeboater, he will go ballistic. <br />The answer...Annette from the Mickey Mouse Club, starred (appeared) with Frankie in the Award Winning, errrr movie Beach Blanket Bingo, or something like that. Those were bloody awful flix, even back then. :)

Tinkerer

Originally posted by SoulWinner:<br /> Yeah, but Annette was a babe!
You, SW, are a true patron of the arts!<br /><br />You understand the great art of her performance which, for all his revered intelligence on other issues, NY Minute has not the slightest clue.<br /><br />It takes enormous acting and gymnastic skill to run up the beach bouncing those puppies like that, while keeping their pink little noses in their kennels. Not to mention convincing the audience that the surf really is up. Among other things that were up.<br /><br />Be all that as it may, I haven't seen much in the way of answers to my other questions or other issues raised by the lost generation to make us go all gooey-eyed about our lost youths / youthees / youves / or whatever they were that we lost before contraception had been invented.

SoulWinner

Commander

I don't know what you did with the feeler guage when the motor was running. I first though of checking the point gap, but the distributor cap has to be off to check the gap.

D

DJ

I can remember.<br /><br />As a youth being able to be "gone" all day outside with my friends. We didn't have to be worried about be molested, kidnapped or any other such awful things.<br /><br />The parents in the neighborhood looked out for each other and each others children.<br /><br />People actually talkled to each other and respected one another.<br /><br />There was a sense of community, no matter what "group" you may have come from or were a part of.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Originally posted by SoulWinner:<br /> I don't know what you did with the feeler guage when the motor was running. I first though of checking the point gap, but the distributor cap has to be off to check the gap.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Tinkerer

Originally posted by SoulWinner:<br /> I don't know what you did with the feeler guage when the motor was running. I first though of checking the point gap, but the distributor cap has to be off to check the gap.
That was the start.<br /><br />Then you had to adjust the tappets (pushrod to valve rocker gap) on some motors with the motor running. Chewed up feeler gauges in no time. <br /><br />Then you timed it. Then you went throught the whole process again because everything was now out of whack again. Plus playing with the carby and stuff.<br /><br />End result after a whole Saturday afternoon and even Saturday night doing all this was that it ran better on Sunday just from washing the car.<br /><br />For the no dollar prize, who:<br /><br />(a) knows what a trunnion rod is, and<br /><br />(b) has adjusted one, and <br /><br />(c) ever noticed much difference after spending an afternoon doing it?

dolluper

Captain

If your talking about one on a hoist >>> yes I think some old Darts had them too never tried one though

Tinkerer

Trunnion rod clue:<br /><br />gear shift<br /><br />But what about Meeska, Mooska etc?

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by NYMINUTE:<br /> Oh No, another 50+ thread.....Don't tell eeboater, he will go ballistic.
:D :D :D No worries<br /><br />I hate to say this, but I have no idea what a lot of those things are about! I mean, I heard the usual "whats a record" question, but.....<br /><br />
What was a Coke Float, and what did you have to do with your straw in one to send the Dairy Queen man mental?
HUH??!?!

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Finally one of these that I don't remember any of. :) :)

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Some GM's ha da little window in the cap for adjusting the poitn gap with the engine running.

Tinkerer

Gee, maybe I lived in a time warp. Here's the answers.<br /><br />What is this from, and what follows? Meeska, Mooska, Mouseketeer, Mouse cartoon time now is here. 1950's Mickey Mouse Club TV show cartoon segment.<br /><br />Who is Cubby and what did he do? Drummer on Mickey Mouse Club TV show.<br /><br />Who had a connection with the previous two answers and used to bounce up the beach yelling "Surf's up" to Frankie Avalon or Frankie someone? Annette Funicello, who was a stunner but I think has MS or some terrible wasting disease now.<br /><br />What's The Stomp? The Frug? Dances (for want of a better term) in the 60's.<br /><br />Who spent ages making a studded belt and knew how to use it? (If so, what was its ultimate use, and who ever used it for that? - Me, twice.) We put conical metal studs all around a wide leather belt. Very decorative. The ultimate use was to wrap it around your fist in a fight. Punched my fist like this through a flywire door and then a glass door once without getting a scratch, trying to get at someone who richly deserved what I was trying to give him.<br /><br />What were lowering blocks? Who ever made a cheap set out of wood and fencing wire? Lowered the car on leaf spring suspensions. You can imagine how safe wooden ones were. <br /><br />What's a muu-muu, and why would it be interesting? A '60's dress with a revealing top.<br /><br />What did you have to do regularly to ruin a feeler gauge with the motor running? See separate post.<br /><br />What was a Coke Float, and what did you have to do with your straw in one to send the Dairy Queen man mental? Ice cream in a glass of Coke. Dairy Queen used to do them with soft serve. Push the soft serve ice cream into the drink and it foamed up. The foam tasted great. Push it up and down a few times and it went off like a little volcano, and went over the counter and drove the shop owner mad. He even had signs up prohibiting the practice, which only encouraged us more.<br /><br />Why would you put sandbags behind the rear wheel arches? The idea was that the weight gave better traction and improved handling on leaf spring suspensions. The (supposed) improvement could be lost suddenly if the sandbag wasn't fixed properly and shifted during cornering on the limit.