Do you really need a name on a boat?

jennings_jd

Cadet
I bought a boat in early may and have multiple people telling me to name it or I will have problems. No record of the previous owner having named it...

And as my wife tells me I am like a 5 year old I was gonna name it "I'm on a Boat B%^&$H".... but of course she said no.

So here's the run down.....

First trip...... Nuthin

2nd trip..... wife tried settin on the trailer sideways leavin the lake

3rd trip ..... Nuthin

4th trip...... remembered the motor plugs but damn if i didn't forget that one in the back of the boat (didn't sink, as i released from the trailer the boat looked a little low so hitched back up pulled out and got "first time out this season, huh" from some local yokal...

5th trip..... decided that props look better with the aluminum showing or war wounds from the rocks, also had a friend decide to tighten the plug so tight as to snap all 3 screws off in the hull.......

So new prop, new plug and about to go out on #6 and need advise on this naming thing before my boat is at the bottom of the lake.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Do you really need a name on a boat?

I've owned alot of different boats, some big some not. I've never named one, I don't see anything wrong with doing it I've just never done it......now if you try to bring a banana on the boat, that's where I draw the line.

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nmaing a boat is a very personal thing. Find one that is meaningful. That said, I don't think the lack of a boat name is your problem. Sounds like you are just fine tuning your experience.

And +1 on the bananas. I'll throw fried chicken into that category as well since it leaves such a mess.

shrew

Lieutenant

There is an "Old Wives Tale" that it is bad luck to launch and sail an unnamed boat. There are several from the old days, including:

A Woman on Board is Bad Luck

Bananas onboard are bad luck

setting sail/leaving port on a Friday is bad luck

Never start a voyage on the first Monday in April.

Don?t start a voyage on the second Monday in August.

Don't start a voyage on Dec. 31st

Black traveling bags are bad luck for a seaman.

Avoid people with red hair when going to the ship to begin a journey.

Avoid Flat-footed people when beginning a trip.

A stolen piece of wood mortised into the keel will make a ship sail faster.

A silver coin placed under the masthead ensures a successful voyage.

Pouring wine on the deck will bring good luck on a long voyage.

Throwing stones into the sea will cause great waves and storms.

A stone thrown over a vessel that is putting out to sea ensures she will never return.

Flowers are unlucky onboard a ship.

Priests are not lucky to have on a ship.

A dog seen near fishing tackle is bad luck.

Black cats are considered good luck and will bring a sailor home from the sea.

Swallows seen at sea are a good sign.

Sighting a curlew at sea is considered bad luck.

A cormorant sighted at sea is bad luck.

Dolphins swimming with the ship are a sign of good luck.

It is unlucky to kill an albatross.

It is unlucky to kill a gull.

Handing a flag thru the rungs of a ladder is bad luck.

Loosening a mop or bucket overboard is a sign of bad luck.

Repairing a flag on the quarterdeck will bring bad luck.

Turning over a hatch will cause the hold to fill with seawater.

Cutting your hair or nails at sea is bad luck.

Church Bells heard at sea mean someone on the ship will die.

St. Elmo?s Fire around a sailors head means he will die within a day.

When the clothes of a dead sailor are worn by another sailor during the same voyage, misfortune will befall the entire ship.

If the rim of a glass rings stop it quickly or there will be a shipwreck.

Never say the word Drowned at sea.

The caul of the head of a new-born child is protection against drowning and will bring the owner good luck.

The feather of a wren slain on New Years Day, will protect a sailor from dying by shipwreck.

A ships bell will always ring when it is wrecked.

A shark following the ship is a sign of inevitable death.

shrew

Lieutenant

IMHO, it's all in what you believe. If you believe that an unamed boat is bad luck then name it for piece of mind. I'm guessing much of these had to do with a logical root cause.

Bananas onboard are bad luck: Technically, carelessly discarded banana peels on board can easily injure someone if they slipped and fell. At sea 200+ years ago a broken bone could be a death sentence. Bunches of bananas are known to harbor venomous spiders. Adn Finally, rotting bananas off-gas methane, which below deck could cause explosions from lamps.

Woman onboard are bad luck: More than likely they were just very distracting to the sailors and could lead to jealous fueds between sailors.

Don't sail on Friday: jesus christ was supposedly crucified on a Friday.

Never start a voyage on the first Monday in April.
This is the day that Cain slew Able.

Don?t start a voyage on the second Monday in August.
This is the day sondom & gommrrah was destroyed.

Starting a cruise on Dec. 31 is bad.
This is the day Judas Iscariat hanged himself.

Don't kill albatross/gulls: They only fly relatively close to land and can lead you to land by day.

jennings_jd

Cadet

Thanks for the run down of Boat tales!!! Of course this is my first boat that I have ever owned and yes learning as I go. Even the guy at the boat shop told me to listen to friends but that I would find my own method to the madness!!! So far I am enjoying the whole boat experience as most told me that there are two great times of owning a boat....

"The day you buy it, and the day you sell it"!

But so far the experience has been a good one, for me my wife and my three girls who just want to go faster!!!

Thanks for the words of wisdom!!!!

+2 for the whole banana thing

Last edited:

asm_

Petty Officer 1st Class

Believe or not, one of the lakes around my area would not sell me a lake permit unless I name my boat. To comply with the rule, I named my 40 years old 12 foot aluminum boat - Enterprise. :D:D:D

jennings_jd

Cadet

Just to get on the lake?? Well I think that I will have my kids come up with something clever!! They are the ones who will have better memories of the boat than I will!!

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

And I thought it was a call name on marine vhf radio?

Who knew?

woosterken

Lieutenant

how about some combination of the girl's names ?
oldest first
middle one second and the last (?) on the end

woosterken

PGFISHER

Petty Officer 1st Class

My wife and I named our boat the CAREVEL after our mothers Caroll and Evelyn.

bcons

Seaman Apprentice

Personally I've always named my boats, that being said I think your difficulties aren't a matter of luck, but rather just being new to boating.
Most of your listed problems seem to have to do with launching & pulling.
That's normal for 1st timers.

Some advice more important than a name,
First at the launch spend a little time watching experienced people, take note of what they do.
2nd you said "wife tried putting boat on sideways & friend overtightened plugs" Most of the time if everyone is inexperienced, more hands helping leads to more problems. Slow down, develope a routine, and with practice you'll be fine.
Tearing up a prop? that'll happen especially if you're not real familar with the body of water.

From what you're describing, you're going through all the learning curve problems that's all, slow down & have fun;)

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

I too need to name my boat. I'm a newbi this season. The only superstition I heard that creeped me out was, "Don't name your boat after a living person", I did not get an explaination on it, but it was enough for me. I've been having a few very strange issues each time I've been out. Nothing serious, just little things like the "forgot the plug thing", lucky I was only backing the *** end in the water to do a quick test on the tell tail, when I pulled into the prep area to get ready to wheel I noticed quite a bit of water & thought WTF? There you go, no plug in.:D I'm going onto those web sites in the other posts to see if I can come up with one. Good luck on your end. MAXX