Do you plan on boating more next year if gas prices remain low or head even lower?

Do you plan on boating more next year if gas prices remain low or head even lower?

• Yes

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • No

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters

Boatbuyer7

Recruit
I feel like many of the waterways will be crowded this upcoming season, low gas, possible el nino.

oldjeep

Admiral
Boating will be about the same - as much as we have time for. The price of gas has never been a deciding factor, especially when you consider what the boat costs whether it is sitting in the garage or in the water.

cribber

Lieutenant
The weather is the deciding factor here in Florida. If the sky is dropping lightning bolts we'll give it a miss. Otherwise we're out every weekend we can year round!

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
single factor is weather.......the extra $5 or $10 bucks saved in gas wont matter a hoot.........at least for me...

dwco5051

Commander
I have planned on boating more every year for over 60 years. It usually doesn't work out. Weather, being outconus, job, projects on my property. However I once again promised byself I will boat and fish more in 2015 The price of fuel has never really made a difference in how many times I get out.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
The price of gas has no influence on my boating habits. How much free time I get from work does.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
My ski boat, fuel hasn't ever been a factor, it just doesn't use enough. However the big boat is a different story. I don't think I would use it more days, I do think I would go farther. The twin big blocks drink the fuel and I do factor in the cost of running an extra 10 miles down the lake.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Fuel costs have never been a factor in my boating. If it as, I wouldn't have taken up boating as a hobby.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Gas prices will not affect our boating. It's more of a function of available time, and weather, rather than what gas costs are.

shrew

Lieutenant
The price of fuel dictates the distances we travel, not the frequency in which we boat. We boat every single weekend from when she's launched in the spring until she's hauled in the fall. rain or shine. Weather also dictates where we go more so than when we go. There are some exceptions.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Fuel costs don't affect our boating as much as other demands on our time do. Honey do projects, weather, work schedule, as well as lake levels are the real deciding factors for us. Most recreational boaters I know don't base their days or nights on the water on fuel costs. Recreational boating is an expensive hobby, and fuel tends to be low on the list for reasons not to go out .

smassey22180

Petty Officer 1st Class
Won't affect boating for me but we all will get a nice bump in resale value next spring :)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
^^^^^^ Only if prices don't go back up to where they were faster than they fell. :eek:

thumpar

Admiral
The prices will go back up in the spring but if your are worried about the cost of fuel don't buy a boat. The fuel is the cheap part of boating.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if your worried about the fuel cost for the hobby, get a different hobby

QC

Supreme Mariner
I am with nate and shrew. It will not change my days on the water, but will have some impact on my destination choices once on the water. We throw a hook and hang a lot. We can do that close or far, so fuel price has some impact on our habits. I do agree that fuel is not what anyone should be stressing about regarding boating. You are talking less than $20 a weekend for most people if it goes up a buck. With that said, the OP seems to be considering the impact on his particular waterway's crowd factor. Where do you boat?

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Could be a college term paper subject. It's the 3rd similar topic I have seen today on 3 different boating forums. all three topics were started by a poster with just one post to. Or maybe just a popular topic to post ?

Last edited: