Do Not Call Registry

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Don't know if this has been posted before, but as I understand it, telemarketers are going to be able to gain access to cell numbers September 1....tomorrow. Don't know the how's, why's and stuff like that. But....if you haven't, register your home and cell phones on the National Do Not Call Registry. It's good for five years. Don't cost nothin' and it only takes a couple minutes. I registered 6 phone numbers.<br /><br />Here's the link.....<br /><br /> https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

D

DJ

Re: Do Not Call Registry

OBJ,<br /><br />There's a dirty little secret in that it DOES NOT apply to FAX marketers. I've turned OFF my because of it. The Do Not Call list was useless, for faxes.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

DJ.. Little tip for ya.<br /><br />I put my fax machine on a timer to shut it off at night.... I don't get anywhere near the number of junk faxes anymore.... :) <br /><br />As far as telemarketers and cell phones, Telemarketers have been calling my cell since I had the dang thing... The "free disney tickets" time share scamer calls me about once a week.... :rolleyes:

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

DJ,<br /><br />Faxes are covered by another law - this is taken from the FTC web site:<br /><br />
Unsolicited Faxes<br /><br />If you run a business, chances are your fax machine spews out a lot of unsolicited messages. Do you want to put an end to faxed ads?<br /><br />I'm Shirley Rooker for the Federal Trade Commission.<br /><br />A little known provision of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act bans unsolicited faxed advertisements...and puts teeth in the ban.<br /><br />The Act makes it unlawful for anyone to fax an unsolicited ad to another individual or business if there is no prior business relationship - and the penalty for each violation is $500 or up to $1,500 if a company willfully and knowingly violates the law.<br /><br />However, you don't have to tell the company you don't want its faxes. You can make a powerful statement by taking it to small claims court, and winning a judgement against the fax-happy company.<br /><br />So save those unsolicited faxes and make your displeasure known by legal action. The law is there for your protection, so use it.<br /><br />I'm Shirley Rooker, director of WTOP radio's Call For Action for the Federal Trade Commission.<br /><br />January 2002<br />

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer

OBJ<br /><br />Thanks, just registered 3 cell phones.<br /><br />Dave..

txswinner

Banned

Thank you OBJ, just had 12 cells registered and will call in all co. phones tomorrow. Really appreciate this information.

Homerr

Commander

Yea, I heard about this when the do-not-bother-us list came out. Although I registered my cell phones, they are barred from calling them.<br /><br />I dare one of those POS telemarketers to call my cell phone and foot the bill to me. :mad: <br /><br />You think they would get a hint by now?... We don't want your calls. How much did we hurt them when the do-not-call list went into effect? I'm betting A LOT !<br /><br />Find a new job Mr. Telemarketer.. your job is quickly becoming obsolete!<br /><br /><br />H.