Do manufactures install speakers not connected?

hostage

Lieutenant
I have an older Fusion IP600, I some how got the LCD to come back on. I have 4 speakers in the cockpit, 2 in the bow and 2x in the transom. It looks like my radio can have 4 speakers split across the first two zones and the third zone is for an amp that I don't have. Only four of the speakers work, while the bow and front of the cockpit have no sound. It seems strange that Regal would this many speakers, but only half working? I am going to check the boat closer to see if I see cables running to the speakers. I am guessing I will need yo buy an amp and wire the rest up.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I have an older Fusion IP600, I some how got the LCD to come back on. I have 4 speakers in the cockpit, 2 in the bow and 2x in the transom. It looks like my radio can have 4 speakers split across the first two zones and the third zone is for an amp that I don't have. Only four of the speakers work, while the bow and front of the cockpit have no sound. It seems strange that Regal would this many speakers, but only half working? I am going to check the boat closer to see if I see cables running to the speakers. I am guessing I will need yo buy an amp and wire the rest up.
The unit only has 4 outputs at 4 ohms each.

To connect more than 4 speakers to the system they would have to be 2 ohm speakers wired in parallel.

Are the Zones configured and working correctly?

Pull a speaker to see how many ohms. If 4 ohm, you can't get there from here w/o an amp or switching over to 2 ohm speakers and rewiring the system

I would do a bit of research on capabilities before going the amp routes. I suspect switching to the amp output disables the amp in the head unit

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
The unit only has 4 outputs at 4 ohms each.

To connect more than 4 speakers to the system they would have to be 2 ohm speakers wired in parallel.

Are the Zones configured and working correctly?

Pull a speaker to see how many ohms. If 4 ohm, you can't get there from here w/o an amp or switching over to 2 ohm speakers and rewiring the system

I would do a bit of research on capabilities before going the amp routes. I suspect switching to the amp output disables the amp in the head unit

I think you might have mixed that up... A pair of 2 ohm speakers in parallel presents a 1 ohm load, which will fry a head unit. Need to have 2 - 2 ohm speakers in series to get 4 ohm, or 2 - 8 ohm in parallel.

99.999% of standard speakers installed by a mfg are going to be 4 ohm. Assuming they are, you could wire the back four in series to the back 2 channels. Leave the front ones alone on their own channels. You can use the fader to deal with the imbalance. Not ideal, but will work surprisingly well.