Do I Really need to ??????

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm pulling the carbs for a cleaning and in following the procedures in my cylmer manual it says i need to replace the air silencer gasket and screws is this a vital step as my bealer cn order but would like to put it back together..<br /><br />oh yeah<br />1991 70hp rude

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Do I Really need to ??????

If the old air silencer gasket and screws look OK, you can probably get away with re-using them. That's my humble opinion.

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In looking at them they look like new....gasket and screws...just wondered if there was a good reason or if i was just a good practice type statement.. gasket i could see but screws ???

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Did the manual actually say replace, as in "use new", or did it mean to say replace, as in "re-install"? I've never replaced those screws before unless they were buggered up in some way...<br /><br />- Scott

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what it said was discard and replace with new....thought that was kind of strange but just wanted some expericance behind ignoring the request from the manual..who knows matbe i read it wrong but i'll read it again just to be sure..but when i read it i understood that they wanted me to discard and replace with new...

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Chine are you near Black Lake....i asume so since your in 1000 islands but wanted to say hi to someone from the area....great fishing and relaxing there

rwcreigh1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

does the cylmer manual make and sell the kits for your carb?sounds like they are trying to make as muck money as they can.ok just kidding but the gaskets yes i would replace them but the screws?if they have bad threads of rust replace them but if they look ok i would use them again.

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

changing gasket or screws not necessary put a little lock-tite (blue) on screws and you should be ok

DHPMARINE

Captain

The reasoning is this: new gasket so no dirt can get into the carbs/then engine.New screws to hold the silencer to the carbs : these screws have a retaining 'patch' imbedded into them and are meant to be used once.If the srew loosens and falls out,it goes into the engine.NOT GOOD.<br /><br />In the real world,yes we reuse them both with no problems.<br /><br />DHP

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ahh...I see said the blind man......this forum is great for finding out things like this.....I'm waiting for the gasket and screws......i just want this to go correct...i've got two weeks of straight fishing and relaxing coming up ...don't want to be doing motor repair in the middle of family fishing trip....again thanks for all who help

fishook54

Cadet

i have 1978 johnson 55hp -key switch chirps is this normal.also can faulty emergency cut off switch cause motor to not turn over.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

If you reuse the screws, put some loctite on them to keep them from working loose. Like DHP said, you don't want them falling out.