Do I Really Need "Marine" Grade Oil?

Coddy

Cadet
Hi,
I?m replacing the gear lube in my Chrysler outboard. I was looking that the cost of the gear lube and noticed that the "Marine" lube is a whole lot more expensive than regular lube. The Marine lube is labeled as 80W-90. I also noticed that I can purchase 80W-90 in the automotive section for a great deal less money. With gear lube, does it really matter what type I put in my boat motor?
Thanks!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Do I Really Need "Marine" Grade Oil?

No,use the cheaper stuff.Regular maintanance is what's important.J

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Do I Really Need "Marine" Grade Oil?

Do you really need it? NO! The lower unit is sealed and as long as no water gets in, automotive grade will be fine. HOWEVER: If water does intrude, marine grade has more emulsifiers and corrosion inhibitors and will protect the gears and bearings from corrosion and rust better.

Do you absolutely need it? NO! Is it better to use it? Definitely. Think about it this way: While the marine grade is three times as expensive, you only change it once every year or two. Its not like a tank of gas you are burning in a day. AND-- If it prevents gear damage, it was cheap insurance. If nothing happens and you don't use the extra protection, at pennies a day more, it was still worth the extra cost.

Save money by buying Wal Mart TCW-3 oil and the cheapest 87 octane gas you can find.