do i or dont i

renny1

Petty Officer 1st Class
guys i have searched the forums and not got a posotive answer
i have just put a 1999 recon 3.0L mercruiser in my boat which has always been trailored im picking her up next week and she is being birthed on a marina,which i have never done before,my question is
do i winterize it???? bearing in mind here in the UK we dont usually get below minus 5 much and also i would still like to use her over winter if i can..so what are your honest opinions??? do i winterize or do i keep using

Bondo

Staff member
Re: do i or dont i

bearing in mind here in the UK we dont usually get below minus 5 much and also i would still like to use her over winter if i can..so what are your honest opinions??? do i winterize

Ayuh,... Define Winterize...

At the very least,... Drain the cooling system of All Water...
Everything else is optional...

It only takes 1 night of below Freezing....

Snowfish

Petty Officer 1st Class

To me winterizing is just seasonal maintenance (go through it top to bottom. Fluids, Grease, Flush, and Good Detail) with the addition of draining water and fogging.

Like previously stated, drain the water at a minimum.

One freeze (-5c should do it quite nice) and you have no need for seasonal maintenance! Boats done until some major surgery can be completed.

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I presume you have a raw water cooled engine. Just drain the block from the petcock at the lower block and drain the ex manifold. They'll fill quickly once you start. Just don't forget to close the drains before starting.

renny1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I presume you have a raw water cooled engine. Just drain the block from the petcock at the lower block and drain the ex manifold. They'll fill quickly once you start. Just don't forget to close the drains before starting.

yes raw water cooled.. and i guess i do that every time i come back also will leave a note on the ignition to close the drains...thanks guys