do I need retrofit to power tilt?

nicknight

Seaman
I have a 2006 40HP efi ELH that I want to switch to power tilt because it is becoming increasingly difficult to lift, maybe I am getting weaker.

-I lubed the tilt tube with the 24c grease and the old grey/black (looks like molybdenum grease) came out. It was not lubed for 2+ years.

-the service manual says if it takes more than 35-50ft-lbs/inch the accumulator needs to be replaced.....what is 50ft-lbs in fish scale speak?

-if I retro fit to power tilt I have seen the mercury units for about $600...that seems a bit much to me. What would a low, good and pricey amount of money to spend on the power tilt/trim unit?

-trim does not matter to me, are there budget solutions like adding some kind of assist for the tilt?

nick

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: do I need retrofit to power tilt?

-the service manual says if it takes more than 35-50ft-lbs/inch the accumulator needs to be replaced.....what is 50ft-lbs in fish scale speak?

Maybe about two bass and a perch :D

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Check E-Bay for a complete unit. they have pretty good deals on there.

nicknight

Seaman

Ebay gave me prices on new units only....$800-$900

Still trying to figure out if I need to retrofit or if I can do more with what I have (see OP).

nick

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nick, where do you live? I know there are several outboard salvage yards around me and they usually have the parts. I'm sure there should be some in your area.

RRitt

Captain

look up your motor and see if this system fits. It fits most under 60 Merc-mariner-force made since about 1995 and is cheap. If it does fit then just buy the one that gives you the most comfort. They are the same regardless of brand/year/hp. They typically last about 15 years, cost about 180 used, cost about $200 for full hydraulic rebuild, and about $150 for new motor. If this doesn't fit then you need the other small HP model which is much less common. If that's the case then there is no easy and cheap tilt system or tilt repair.

Attachments

• MMF_TR3.jpg
    MMF_TR3.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 0

nicknight

Seaman

Thanks for the leads.

WingedWheel: I live in Toronto, ontario, Canada

RRitt: I will check this out.....the only place I saw this item was on ebay. No other google hits.

nickN