Do I need em???

Shawdaddy

Seaman Apprentice
I see many posts on here about smart tabs. I have a Four Winns Horzion 190 w/ 5.0gl and do most all my boating in a freshwater lake pulling tubers and skiers. We do some crusing from time to time and the boat wants to ride very high outta the water at lower speeds like 10-15 mph. I always have the trim all the way when I start to get on plane and the boat planes out quickly, but would the smart tabs help me plane better at lower speeds?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Do I need em???

Yes - they will help. Stay on plane at lower speeds, better hole shot and you don't need to trim out so far so the prop can operate more horizontal rather than upward as it is when trimmed up.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner
Re: Do I need em???

Shawdaddy;<br /><br />I don't mean to be sarcastic, so please do not take this in that way. Given your use, the improved boat attitude and performance you will either pay for more gas or pay for the Smart Tabs. If you use your boat 55 hours per year as is the average, the fuel savings alone will pay for the tabs or more. Your boat uses about 6 gallons per hour at these speeds under these conditions (maybe more). At $3.00 per gallon that comes to $18.00 per hour, and $990.00 per year (55 hrs.) The tests that Trailer Boats Magazine conducted and published on a 19' Maxum with a 5.0 V8 indicated in excess of 20% better MPG with our Smart Tabs vs without.<br /><br />The numbers are simple, you will save about $200.00 under these conditions in the first year of use, and more if you use the boat more than 55 hrs per year.