Do I need antifouling paint?

Blue Bomb

Cadet
I just bought a 1975 Steury 16Ft runabout. It's been kept dry and covered for the past 16 years. It was repainted once, but it is flaking off. I'm planning on sanding and painting this winter.

What should I used to paint the hull of this thing. I generally trailer it or keep it on a lift. We do occasional boating in a river. It might spend a week in a fresh water lake, once a year for vacation. Maybe a few weekends a year as well.

Is it enough to just remove flaking paint, rough up the rest, and paint away?
Do I need anitfouling paint, or will top side suffice?

fishdog4449

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Do I need antifouling paint?

I would use bottom paint. It requires less prep work, and even a week at the lake you may find growth and slime may stick on the hull which is a bear to get off.

pgdignan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't think anti fouling paint is necessary for a week in fresh water, you might get some soft growth but it should come off fairly easily. As for topside painting, if you hunt around a little you'll see some remarkable paint jobs done by posters with rollers and brushes along with recommendations on what paint and primer to use. Best of luck with it.

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

I suspect once you see the price of anti-fouling paint... and actually go through the sanding and painting process, you'll realize that anti-fouling is really only for saltwater. Freshwater people who do it for alge are only kidding themselves. An occasional blast of Slimey Grimey or Oxalic acid takes care of that! Waaaayyyy easier than bottom paint.

My opinion.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Look in the restoration section of the forum.Many nice paint jobs done with Interlux paints...;)