Do I need a Jack Plate?

Rob Fisher

Cadet
Hope someone can help. I have a 1986 Bass Tracker mv16 with a 1987 35hp merc. The engine is strong and it has a allum. 3 blade prop with a 11 degree pitch. The problem I am having is that it takes a while for the boat to plane out and then when it does it never seems to stay on a good plane. It actually is a lot less worse then it used to be with a 14 degree pitch I had on my engine last year. I read an article on jack plates and it seems that it may help but Im hesitant to just throw one on ecspecialy if it isn't applicable to the boat. Can anyone give me some suggestions or let me know if this boat even calls for one? Thanks :confused:

DP

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Do I need a Jack Plate?

A jack plate may help. Befor spending the money for one I would try a Doel Fin or other hydrafoil stabilizer first.<br />Why did you drop to an 11 pitch prop, and do you have a tachometer?

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

Ditto with BW17MT on the doel fin, I would also start there. Much cheaper too, probably less than $30 if you shop around.<br /><br />Question HH - do you have power trim? You may have your boat nose up too high with the trim setting.<br /><br />BW, he is probably close with the 11 pitch prop. From all the recent prop calculating I have recently done, I would guess a 14 pitch is way too much prop for his boat/motor setup too. <br /><br />But HH, you should read some of the other posts (do a search on "prop") and they will tell you how to properly pick the right prop for your motor.

Rob Fisher

Cadet

Hey guys, thanks. I had thought about the fin but never really looked into it before. sounds like it would make sense to me. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it works.BW17MT,the reason I dropped the pitch is because I had the engine worked on and the guy showed me the manual for the boat and it had 11 degree as the recomended pitch. My prop guy said he accidently set it to 14 when I had first got the prop. The boat took forever to get on plane.<br />Sea Dawg, no I dont have power trim, just the pin setting on the motor. I tried 4 different holes and found the best one so hopefully the fin does the trick. Thanks again. :D ;)