do i have the wrong spark plug cables?

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys, I just received an order I placed for new spark plug wires for my 1982 40hp 2 stroke electric start Mercury outboard. but looking at it now in my hand, it doesn't appear to be the same thing that I pulled off of my outboard. I placed an order for the same part number that I got from the mercury parts Direct website. But it just doesn't look the same. I also saw that there was a new part number and it stated that it replaces an older part number. The new part number that I ordered is 84-813715A 1 . it looks like I'm going to have to assemble it myself and cut it to the size that I need, but before I do that I want to make sure I have the right part so that if not I can send it back and get my money refunded. Can anyone help me out?
20140623_074348_zps20043be1.jpg
[/URL]

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
The first pics is the spark plug cable i pulled off of my outboard. notice the contact point is about 2X longer than what i received in my spark plug cable kit. I'm wondering if the new one will be long enough to plug in where it needs to go or not. Because I don't see how that would happen. also, how the heck do i put this kit together?

thanks in advance for any and all help.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Throw the theared one asid as you wont use it, the "U" shaped goes into coil and the "hooded: one goes to plug...

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is there a clip or diagram you may know of on how it's done? I've looked but cannot find one that uses the parts i received. What do you mean the shaped piece goes to the coil? Are you talking about the silver piece? If so, how does it go to the coil? And why does this new cable look sooo much shorter than the old one? Should i be concerned?

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh, ok. So the gold colored piece will enter the coil. Understood. But it's a lot shorter than the original. Wont matter??? And now the silver color "hooded" piece, it goes to what "plug"? The spark plug? If so, how does it go to it?

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Another thing, one end of this cable ids already assembled, that's the end thats going to the spark plug. The end im having an issue with, is the end that you insert into the coil.