Do I have my anchor set up right?

Jamie Z

Cadet
I'm fairly new to this, and just learning as I go. I've done a lot of reading on this site and elsewhere online, and the other thing I do is walk around the docks at the marina and see how other people have their stuff set up.

I can't really figure out how I'm supposed to store the anchor and rode. Here's my setup:

IMG_6866.JPG

(The anchor looks huge in this photo. That's merely an odd camera perspective.)

I've got a box anchor attached to a six foot galvanized chain, and then to a 100-foot 1/2" anchor rope.

The two main questions I have are, do I just leave the anchor hanging off the bow like that all the time? And, when I went to put the rope into the storage box, I couldn't see any way to get it in there other than to thread it in six inches at a time from the outside. I'm worried about the rope becoming a tangled mess inside the box next time I need to use the anchor.

Is that how others do it, or is there a better way?

Jamie

Bass-by-you

Seaman
Re: Do I have my anchor set up right?

Jamie Z......I am going through the exact same dilema. Just curious, what Brand, make model boat is that. I am in the process of outfitting a '84 Galaxy with the teak nose (same as in your pic). I am also confused as to the anchoring system.....Did you cut out the teak for the anchor rode guide? What kind of metal is the guide made of? Did you fab it yourself or buy it some where? How is it attached to the teak?....Sorry I don't have answers for you. I just have more questions.

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

In what conditions do you plan to use your new anchor?

Bass-by-you

Seaman

As for me...I can see me using the anchor under two scenarios, 1: Off shore where I want to fish at a know reef area, 2: overnight camping in a protected bay area. Ideas?

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

No, you do not. Your box anchor is designed to be folded and stored below. Your bow pulpit can accommodate a traditional anchor.

Here's an excerpt from Westmarine:

"Overview of Box Anchor, Small, Offshore Boat to 18'?30', Cabin Cruiser to 24', 19lb., 22"H x 8.5"L x 5"W Collapsed, Stainless.

Recommended for protected waters or beach use, this anchor?s unique shape enables it to set in most bottom types with half the rode normally needed for conventional anchors. It sets quickly, retrieves easily and folds flat for compact storage. Its fixed scoop design and narrow side panels set like a ?cookie cutter? into sand, mud, grass or rock. Narrow side panels eliminate resistance upward for easy retrieval. If the wind or current changes, the anchor resets in seconds. A stabilizing bar and spring make it easy to lock the anchor open for use or collapse it for storage."

As far as your anchor rode is concerned, the length of your chain should, at a minimum, be as long as you boat. When storing the anchor rode, pass all of it through the deck pipe. It will "flake" itself in the anchor locker and may be deployed without tangling problems.

Jamie Z

Cadet

Just curious, what Brand, make model boat is that. Did you cut out the teak for the anchor rode guide? What kind of metal is the guide made of? Did you fab it yourself or buy it some where? How is it attached to the teak?....Sorry I don't have answers for you. I just have more questions.
:confused: I actually don't know the boat manufacturer. It's the boat of a good friend, and after I hassled him about leaving his boat in storage without using it, we made a deal that we'd split the cost of a slip and I could use the boat.

Here's a better picture of it.

IMG_6868.JPG

It's a 26 (or 27) foot cabin cruiser with an inboard/outboard smallblock V-8.

In what conditions do you plan to use your new anchor?
Good question. I should have addressed this in the OP.

The boat is just off the Mississippi River, and I plan a handful of overnight trips on the river as well as beaching on sandbars. The Mississippi is almost entirely fine sand in my area. I'll probably anchor in the smallish oxbow lake in the marina, too. Again, all sand.

No, you do not. Your box anchor is designed to be folded and stored below. Your bow pulpit can accommodate a traditional anchor.

Here's an excerpt from Westmarine:

"Overview of Box Anchor, Small, Offshore Boat to 18'?30', Cabin Cruiser to 24', 19lb., 22"H x 8.5"L x 5"W Collapsed, Stainless.

Recommended for protected waters or beach use, this anchor?s unique shape enables it to set in most bottom types with half the rode normally needed for conventional anchors. It sets quickly, retrieves easily and folds flat for compact storage. Its fixed scoop design and narrow side panels set like a ?cookie cutter? into sand, mud, grass or rock. Narrow side panels eliminate resistance upward for easy retrieval. If the wind or current changes, the anchor resets in seconds. A stabilizing bar and spring make it easy to lock the anchor open for use or collapse it for storage."

As far as your anchor rode is concerned, the length of your chain should, at a minimum, be as long as you boat. When storing the anchor rode, pass all of it through the deck pipe. It will "flake" itself in the anchor locker and may be deployed without tangling problems.
Are you saying I shouldn't use a box anchor? The boat also has a Danforth, but my online research showed that the box anchor is better suited for my conditions. With the teak nose, it'd be an awful PITA to get the anchor out of storage every time I needed it. You're probably right though that a Danforth would better fit the pulpit. (Thanks for that word ;) )

As for the chain length, again, internet research (on this forum) showed a wide range of opinions about the proper length. On the website for a box anchor manufacturer suggests that with a box anchor, no chain is necessary. And in my case, I don't have to worry about dropping anchor into rocks.

Thanks for the confirmation about feeding the anchor rope through the deck pipe.

Jamie

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

First, I believe my use of the term "flake" may be incorrect as applied to storing your anchor rode, as my nautical terminology is a little rusty. I apologize to all of you who know better.

I believe that a box anchor is a contraption designed to solve a problem you do not have, that is, a boat without an appropriate set-up on the bow to store and/or deploy a traditional anchor. Without knowing in great detail where you boat and the conditions under which you will operate your boat, making anchor recommendations is pure folly, and is subject to a never ending range of opinions. I will say this: I would use your box anchor as a spare and stow it below decks. Although I am a Danforth fan, I will leave it to you to determine whether it suits your intended use. There is nothing wrong with a little "trial and error" experimentation to see what works best for you.

Jamie Z

Cadet

I believe that a box anchor is a contraption designed to solve a problem you do not have, that is, a boat without an appropriate set-up on the bow to store and/or deploy a traditional anchor.
I hadn't looked at it that way. I'm going out to the boat today to try to work out some fuel issues. I'll swap out for the Danforth and see what I think.

Jamie

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

That looks like it's going to beat the crap out of the bow underway or even moored in a storm:eek:

themaniam1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On the dansforth you will want at least all the chain you have. You may find that more chain will help keep anchor flat on the bottom so when you go to set it, the anchor line will not lift the flukes and they will dig in. I tried six feet of chain on my 24' cruiser and it was not enough so I doubled it to 12' and now I set anchor in 10 to 20' of water with no problems and do not need a long length line. If I was anchoring in 30' or deeper on a regular basis I would go with 24' of chain. I stow all the line and chain in the anchor locker through the line tube, never a tangle issue.