do & donts of overnighters

riptide116

Seaman
Hello all<br />I did a overnighter for the 1st time this year in my boat,now I am very interested in the do's & dont's on this type of adventure,I allready had my wake up call on screw-ups & I dont want to do anything that can jepordize my voyage,life,boat...ect<br />I have good equipment,anchor,battery,lighs,artinarary on where I am going & someone to call in if I dont return but I wonder if I am missing something.<br />I have a post in the boating activitys allso under same header.<br /><br />Thanks

Barbee Q

Chief Petty Officer
Re: do & donts of overnighters

You forgot to ask ME and others to join you. :D .<br />Don't try to start a campfire on your boat by the gas tank.. Always use the front of the boat.. :D :D

coleman kayak1

Petty Officer 1st Class

DO: Be sure everyhing is secured before going to sleep<br /><br />DON'T: Leave the depth finder on, wake up in the morning to find out you have to rope-start your motor.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't double post about it. Some annoyed moderator might just ZAP you for it. :D

Barbee Q

Chief Petty Officer

Make sure you don't have any leaks. Put bilge on auto if you do..

tdanzer

Cadet

A few Points,<br />Be a Boy Scout, prepare for everything. Carry extra food and water. Also carry warm clothing or blankets even in the summer time. <br /><br />Check the weather, Know which way the wind will be blowing at night so that you can dock on the protected side. Carry a couple long metal stakes, 2 ft. So that you can pound them into the shore and tie off, don't depend on the anchor. Also make sure you have the rope to tie off. Remember even in low winds 3 to 7 mph, Your boat can get pushed around or wander off.<br /><br />Make sure your radio works, and camp in an area where you know you can reach one of the Marina's. (Just in Case)<br /><br />If your boat has two Batteries, completely disconnect one to protect it from being drained. (Unlike the previous poster I can't hand crank my engine.)<br /><br />And lastly if I am concerned at all about the wind coming up during the night I sleep on the Boat. My worst nightmare is to crawl out of my tent and see my boat bobbing way out on the lake.<br /><br />I have only had my boat for 5 months but I have already stayed out on the lake three times. It's great. And I can't wait to do it again.<br /><br />I would also like to know any other Ideas people have. The last thing I want to hear out on the lake is "We are screwed"

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

quite often we saw boats swamped by taking waves over the stern when beached. i reccomend trying it bow out and not bow on the beach using 3-4 lines.on the bow and on the stern. make sure your bow anchor,or both on some boats, are double sized and securly dug in the bottom. in small waters its not so bad.