Do boat trailers need stabilizer bars?

Had a small boat, just bought a bigger boat...22ft. center console walk around on a double axle trailer...seems to tow pretty good, but have heard about stabilizer bars that help equalize the weight of the front/rear truck tires and the tires on the trailer...from what I'm hearing people use these on R.V.'s quite a bit...<br /><br />thanks for any advice.....

bubbakat

Captain
Re: Do boat trailers need stabilizer bars?

That would mainly depend upon your tounge weight and tow vech size. I use one on my t&t but not on my boat.<br /><br />here is some good reading on this and it might help you make your decision on this.<br /> http://www.rvtowingtips.com/hitch-setup.htm

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Don't confuse stabilizer bars and equalizer bars. Equalizer hitches (also called weight distributing hitches) are used to transfer some of the tongue weight on heavier trailers across the tow vehicle. A stabilizer bar is just as its name implies, it connects between the tow vehicle and trailer to control trailer sway. It has nothing to do with tongue weight. Some equalizers do incorporate sway control into their designs however. You could probably use a sway bar, but you probably do not require an equalizer hitch.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Very good point though, on my Caravan always use a stabilizer but never on the boat trailer 2600kg. The boat never seems to snake like a caravan but at a loss to explain why.