Do ammo boxes float?

ZmOz

Captain
I think I'm going to order a couple surplus ammo boxes to keep some things in my boat. Will an ammo box float with light things in it, such as a camera, phone, wallet, etc?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Do ammo boxes float?

YES...unless they are full of ammunition! Cabela's sells plastic ones that would never rust either!

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Bob_VT:<br /> YES...unless they are full of ammunition! Cabela's sells plastic ones that would never rust either!
Yup they will (I have a couple of them) but like Bob_VT says the new plastic ones are better. Just bought one from GI Joes.. good for tackle in a kayak

eeboater

Commander

Ok, can someone splain to me how an ammo box floats?!<br /><br />Sean

ndemge

Commander

The same reason your boat floats.<br /><br />Ammo box is full of air. It's sealed so water can't get in.<br /><br />Fill it with Ammo, and it will weigh more than the water it displaces and will sink. <br /><br />Fill it with light things and air, and it will float.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Something will float if the weight of the water that it displaces is more than the object weighs.<br /><br />If your ammo box weighs 5 lbs and it displaces one gallon of water (which weighs 8.34 lbs), your ammo box will float.<br /><br />Ever watch "Will it float" on Dave Letterman? Some of those things are very suprising.<br /><br />Ken

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

Ammo box container is seal with a rubber gasket on the lid and when in locked position no water or air can get in or out and if the container does not have heavy things inside it would float.

imstillatwork

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like the theme song for that...<br /><br />"Will - it - float? Will - it - float? Will - it - float? Will - it - float?<br /><br />funny stuff.