DNR Nightmare

2wheelmadman

Cadet
I live in South Carolina but purchased a boat from Tennessee which is a registration only state and when I went to the the SC DNR to apply for a title I was told I need the Registration Card or at least the registration number of the boat along with a couple of other items like Bill of Sale, Hull I.D. tracing etc. TN DNR sent me a letter giving me the Registration Number I needed and I thought great, no problem to get a SC title. Wrong. It seems the guy that sold me the boat with the Bill of Sale was not the legally registered owner of the boat. So now I have to get the legally registered owner to send the guy I bought it from a Bill of Sale and he then has to register it and send the new registration number on to me. Only problem is the last registered owner is now deceased. Could SC DNR possibly be any more difficult to deal with?
Has anyone got any suggestions as to how to proceed, the SC DNR says they have no idea what I can do and they just bounce it back to the TN DNR.

alldodge

Staff member
Check but KY is good with a new title if the PO has owned it for at least 7 years. Just needs an affidavit filled out.

TN is great for folks registering a boat, its cheap but no title required. I'm in KY and see all kinds on TN registered boats here

roffey

Commander
how about the executor of the estate? If you get in touch, why not have the estate transfer the boat directly to you and bypass the middle guy.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Seem too many time folks that do the registration simply either don't want to help because it takes up more of their valueless time, or can't because they just don't know how. It isn't like they hire folks that really want the job, just bodies to fill positions. I honestly believe that if a person in such capacity really wanted to help, they easily could knowing how other did it before you. But it is easier to send you away to fend for yourself. JMHO

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Here in CA, I usually hire a private company to handle sticky registration issues -- cars, motorcycles, boats. It usually costs anywhere from $50 to $200 depending on the mess, but the these companies seem to know a lot more than the DMV counter reps (they are nicer too).

bassman284

Commander
It's always tricky business buying a boat that lacks proper documentation even if it's a same-state purchase. Once you cross state lines all bets are off. Generally no 2 states have the same requirements and the DNR folk are stuck with the laws as written. Generally there is little or no flexibility in those laws, at least as far as the DNR employees know. This subject has come up quite a bit here on iboats over the years and it seems a lot of these cases were either never resolved or, more often, the resolution if any was never posted here.

Your particular problem has come up several times, i.e., the person you bought it from is not the legal owner of record and the owner of record is deceased or, in some cases, not interested in cooperating. This is a real problem in most states and I have to say I don't remember seeing a good answer to it here. I sympathize and wish I could help but if you've already purchased it, you'll have to get creative. you might PM SDSeville and see how he's handled it because I don't know.

I've been on this forum over 14 years and the best advice I've seen posted numerous times (too late for the OP, I'm afraid) is this - before you hand over cash for a boat, make DAMN sure all the ownership paperwork required is in order. This means finding out in advance what your state's requirements are and the requirements of the state where the boat is located, if different. If the seller doesn't have it, it's best to walk away unless you really can't live without that exact boat. then you're going to have some work on your hands.

I'm not trying to pick on you, man, but you have a job of work ahead of you.

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer
Agree bassman-in Illinois,the OP could be gaurenteed to never get a title.!!!

jbcurt00

Staff member
What boat, or more specifically, how long a boat?

Call the state:
Disclaimer: Due to unique situations, the information below may not be all inclusive. If your situation is not specifically discussed, please call the Boater Registration Office at (803) 734-3857.

Is this an outboard boat? In/out, inboard?

SC also titles outboard motors, and probably trailers. They can both also be challenging w out proper paperwork.

Good luck, and dont be too quick to judge the DNR counter staff.

They probably dont do boats, trailers and outboards w out in-state titles to transfer ownership very often. They dont know everything about every possible situation that might come up.

Call the above # and if possible make an appointment to see someone face to face. I have to jump thru a few hoops, but after my 1st trip to get an untitled boat registered to me. Just have to jump thru them to get it done.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I live in South Carolina but purchased a boat from Tennessee which is a registration only state and when I went to the the SC DNR to apply for a title I was told I need the Registration Card or at least the registration number of the boat along with a couple of other items like Bill of Sale, Hull I.D. tracing etc. TN DNR sent me a letter giving me the Registration Number I needed and I thought great, no problem to get a SC title. Wrong. It seems the guy that sold me the boat with the Bill of Sale was not the legally registered owner of the boat. So now I have to get the legally registered owner to send the guy I bought it from a Bill of Sale and he then has to register it and send the new registration number on to me. Only problem is the last registered owner is now deceased. Could SC DNR possibly be any more difficult to deal with?
Has anyone got any suggestions as to how to proceed, the SC DNR says they have no idea what I can do and they just bounce it back to the TN DNR.

I'm going to steal your boat and sell it some one in TN or GA. both non-title states. A piece of cake, all I need is a faked bill of sale.

Be grateful the SC DNR is picky.

To bad you didn't ask what is needed before buying the boat. We might not have the right answer, but at least one of our members has bought an out of state boat and is now the legal owner, unlike the guy that sold the boat to you.

BTW - This isn't a problem with SC or TN DNR. It's your problem for not finding before hand about buying an out of state and what's required. Sorry, but that needs to be said.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Register the boat and trailer in your name in Tennessee. Regardless of your home of record the boat is supposed to be registered in the state it is kept in the majority of the time. Once you have Tennessee documents with your name on them, you are free to "move" the boat to South Carolina and register it there.

G_Hipster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Delaware, Walk in with a signed title and walk out with your blue card. Don't care about a bill of sale or even if you signed the title or if you live here. If it's already on a reg, then you need that.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Delaware, Walk in with a signed title and walk out with your blue card. Don't care about a bill of sale or even if you signed the title or if you live here. If it's already on a reg, then you need that.

And that helps the OP in SouthCarolina how?

Old Ironmaker

Captain
It appears at least one thing here in Canada is easy and that's boat registration. You register with the Federal Gov. so there are no cross over legislations from Province to Province. Trailers are registered by the Ministry of Transportation in each Province though. A boat with zero documentation can be registered within a few weeks through the Feds. A few photos of the registration numbers on the hull etc and an affidavit from a Notary Public and you are done. Even though compared to some States complicated registration hoops you guys need to jump through it is said that over 65% of all pleasure craft in Canada are not registered to the proper owner. I feel for you man, but you need to know from who and what you are buying before handing over 1 red cent, or in our case since we don't have a penny any longer, one shinny nickel. Experience is a life time of mistakes.

Tnstratofam

Commander
This may be a mute point but if the peson you bought the boat from in Tn is willing and has the corect bill of sale to prove their rightful ownership then have them register the boat in their name. Then the boat wolud have good registration that could be transfered to SC.

However I suspect the person you bought it from didn't keep or won't have the bill of sale from the correct owner. One problem with Tn being a no title state is people don't register their boats right away and the next thing you know the paperwork is gone and the boat is on Craigslist being sold to someone with no good way to register their purchase.

This seems to be a problem with motorcycles which do require titles as well here in Tn. I've have plenty of Bad experiences in my youth with this.:facepalm:

2wheelmadman

Cadet
Thanks for all the input, some good suggestions.

I didn't mean to make it sound like its the DNR's fault, its 100% mine and I accept that responsibility for not exercising due diligence when buying out of my State but the DNR clerk didn't have to add "not my problem" that really ticked me off.
The TN DNR was very helpful and provided me with the owners family contact person that may be able to help with a Bill of Sale directly to me as one poster suggested, thereby cutting out the unregistered seller.

Live and learn......just getting older doesn't make you smarter