DIY....busted waterpump bolt

bugster61

Cadet
Hey guys, I am pretty experienced, but very weirry of drilling out a busted s.s. waterpump bolt on a 1990 70hp yamaha, which has very low hours.....this is a its first water pump change, and it has seen nothing but fresh water........only replacing it cause the temp sensor goes off at idle, and its squirting was lower than normal at idle...raise the idle and the buzzer goes off and the water flows well........I am doing everything by the book.....I learned along time ago, that s.s. fasteners and aluminum dont work well.. They get very gummy, when it comes to removing.....well low and behold , i lube the hell out of all or them, worked them all out, but this one snapped at the beginning of the thread, and i cant seem too remove the seal housing, which is cast iron....and ideas or can a water pump run on 3 new bolts?

Marion Moore

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: DIY....busted waterpump bolt

Fresh water or salt, water pump housings should be taken off each year to exercise the bolts, if nothing else. Anyway...

You are going to have to get that bolt out. Wack the heck out of the broken bolt with a punch and hammer. Be sure not to break anything else in the process. Soak it with lots of pen. oil. Heat then cool the bolt area before trying to extract the broken bolt. Get it HOT but beware, aluminum will certainly melt. Spray it with water to cool things down before you try to remove it.

#1 choise, weld another bolt to your broken one. #2 if you have a left handed drill bit that fits an EZ out.

If you have to drill, which I expect you will go that route, use low RPM's on the bit. SS is hard stuff and will dull a bit before you can blink. SLOW.

Good luck to you. I'm no expert but I have done my share. Take it slow, don't get in a hurry. Did I say to take your time?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

that seal housing will lift off, not easily and you can break the gearcase if not careful.
from the factory those bolts were plated plain steel not stainless.
I drill and tap or helicoil a couple a month.

bugster61

Cadet

Thanks guys, i figured as much, in both of your answers.......I have done my fair share as well. Its just different when one cannot afford to fudge it up or replace it........It is a fresh water motor, and it really does have stainless bolts...even the replacement ones that come with the chrome water pump kit from yamaha has stainless.......if indeed it is plated, its a really awesome look alike stainless plating job......Yes the cast iron oil seal housing is really jammed, but i will take the time to move it.........The welding idea is a great idea, but only if i can get the casting off, otherwise its drill.

And thanku Mr bolt......I am very pleased to hear that heli-coils are acceptable

Thanks....... I have vacation at the end of july... i have to get this done.....

Thanks again,sincerely bugs

happy boating:D

bustermin

Banned

as far as the broken bolt goes, i have had many many bolts break off, i have worked on cranes that are offshore on barges and rigs, and they were rusted so bad the bolt would fuse itself to the piece of metal it was going thru and even heating it with a "Rose Bud" would not get it out. i found that if you soak it in penetrating oil for a few hours and then drill it out with a masonry bit it goes a little easier as the masonry bit will not dull as fast as a metal bit, i swear by this method because in alot of the rigs the bolts are made of spring metal which is much much harder than stainless to drill out. i would avoid heating the aluminum/cast if possible, it doesnt take much heat to compromise the integrity of aluminum/cast. if i understood what you were saying the bolt was almost out when it broke, so i would drill a small hole thru the bolt and use an extractor to get it out, that way you dont damage the aluminum/cast housing. also, someone mentioned welding another bolt to the broken one to get it out, i would be very cautious, if your motor has ANY electronics on it as the welder can short them out, if you do choose this route, be sure to disconnect the battery (both cables) as the welder can short out anything connected to the electrical sytem on the entire vessel. Good Luck

mcbassin

Seaman Apprentice

I know you said you don't know if you will be able to remove the housing but, my number one solution for the broken bolt and the occasional broken tap is T.i.g welding a flat washer with a inside hole diameter a little bigger than the diameter of the bolt/tap. I only weld 50-75% of the way around the bolt then bend the washer up to give me something to get the channel locks on. The limited heat on the bolt usually does the trick on the aluminum to take it right out. If you don't have access to t.i.g just get some stainless welding rods at your local hardware store. Let us know how it works out.