Distributor Test

miles917

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, '89 OMC Cobra 4.3.

Is there an easy way to test a distributor?

In the Clymer manual, it states to grasp the rotor, twist it clockwise (GM engines), release it and it will return to its previous position. If it doesn't, then there is a problem with the advance mechanism, and requires service. I could not find any information related to this in the factory manual.

So I had the cap off the other day for other reasons and decided to give it a try. I could not turn the rotor at all. I had a spare distributor sitting in the garage from a donor boat so I dropped it in. Once again with the twist test and once again the rotor would not budge.

Anyone have any advice? Is Clymer giving bad info or could I actually have 2 distributors with advance issues.

I know I should hook up a timing light and see if its advancing but I do not have access to the boat right now and this is spinning in my head.

Thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Distributor Test

The procedure you describe usually applies to ign systems using points and advance weights, these are not normally found with electronic systems

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

With the cap off, you should be able to turn the rotor, this will operate the advance weights, They should move freely. check for any rust or corrosion on the plate assembly.

MikDee

Banned

Take the breaker plate off, and check what you've got under there, are the weights, & springs rusted together? If so clean it out good, and put a real light coating of grease on the moving parts.