distributor = ignition driver??

dodl

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,<br /><br />A very stupid question i know :) <br /><br />My problem is, i do not know if my Mercury 500 Thunderbolt (no known serial) has a distributor. I know distributors from my cars very well, but there is nothing on my motor, that would look similar...<br /><br />I found a guy who could send me spare parts, but now he asked me if my motor has a distributor or not. And i am not sure at all...<br /><br />Has anybody a photo of a distributor from an old Merc 500 (72-78)?<br /><br />Thanks a lot<br />martin

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: distributor = ignition driver??

if it did have a distibutor, it would be very<br />easy to see. very close to auto dist...<br />follow your spark plug wires and it will lead<br />to your answer.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> if it has a dist then its fwd on the port side. if it does not it will have 4 coils.<br /> you really really need to buy the shop service manuals and read then reread them. it will save many hours of aggrevation and possibly your motor.<br /> good luck and keep posting

dodl

Seaman Apprentice

Hello,<br /><br />Thanks a lot! The manual will arrive around 18th of december. Seems i live on the wrong side of the planet :) I ordered 4 weeks ago....<br /><br />Now my part supplier gets nervous and asks if there is a distributor...<br /><br />I will not really touch anything before i have my manual. :) <br /><br />thanks<br />martin

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

to quote origional post; "but there is nothing on my motor, that would look similar..."<br />tells me you do NOT have a distributer since it<br />would be in plain sight when the cover was removed.<br />good luck, <br />M.Y.

dodl

Seaman Apprentice

Well, i'm not sure, there IS something mercury calls "ignition driver". Thats the reason i asked if ignition driver and distributor is the same.<br /><br />When i think of a distributor i think of an orange removable plastic cap and some other things, i cannot describe in english....<br /><br />This thing called ignition driver looks different. Also the internal parts are different from what i know from my (european) cars...<br /><br />thanks<br />martin

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

my '70 merc 1150 distributor looks very close to<br />an automotive version, but yellow/brown baby-crud<br />color. I am confident if it were there it would<br />be as plain as the nose on your face!<br />take extra care rebuilding the carbs. she won't<br />take kindly to a lean condition!<br />regards,<br />M.Y.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> if it has one ign coil it has a distributor. if it has 4 ign coils, one for each spark plug wire it has a self powered ign.<br /> good luck and keep posting