Distributor care

CRT Skiff Crafter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi fellow boat addicts.<br /><br />This summer as part of my quest to get my engine running properly, I purchased and installed a new distributor. Before doing this, I attempted to service the original one. It had a broken spring and the insides were horribly rusted. <br /><br />Since it was in such crappy shape and was an old points model (and fellow forum member Boomyal tempted me by locating a remanufactured Mallory breakerless for a great price), I just decided to go ahead and spring for a new one and I got that Mallory breakerless. I couldn't be happier!<br /><br />So now that I have a nice new distributor, I'd like very much to keep it nice. So my question is, what sort of routine / preventive maintenance should be done on these units? I don't want it to end up looking like the other one!<br /><br />Regards, crt.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: Distributor care

Grease the shaft and you spray a product called wire drier inside the cap.It will leave a coating that should preserve it.Charlie

CRT Skiff Crafter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yo Charlie:<br />Do you mean pull the distributor and grease the entire shaft or just grease the exposed part?<br /><br />Regards, crt.

Bondo

Staff member

crt,<br />Every thing below what you can see, is within the oil flow of the engine..... Don't Grease It(Maybe a Light Coating at Installation Time).....<br />About the Only maintaince on a dist. is to change the cap, + rotor every year or so......<br />When I have my cap off, for whatever reasons, I Flush the lower dist. body with WD-40.... It'll keep it from getting rusty.....