Distributor cap and rotor

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am having trouble getting my engine to start. I checked the coil and it has a spark, but no spark at the plugs. I suspect the cap an rotor need to be replaced as they were messed with by the previous owner.

The boat has a 454 built by panther in the mid 90's and I am trying to find a replacement cap and rotor. I went to pep boys ( I am away from home) and what they had didn't look similar. Any ideas on where to start looking for this part to replace it?

At this point should I replace the entire distributor? The current one is an electronic controlled distributor, I just don't know what I would need to replace it with.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Distributor cap and rotor

At this point should I replace the entire distributor? The current one is an electronic controlled distributor, I just don't know what I would need to replace it with.

Ayuh,.... No reason to replace the whole distributer, ya just gotta Identify it...

Any numbers on it,..??

Search up Panther Marine, 'n See which distributer they used...

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I couldn't find any numbers on the current cap/rotor. I wasn't able to pull the rotor off the shaft and was hoping that seeing the replacement would give me some clues. Usually there's either a small bolt or it just pulls right off, but I pulled and couldn't get it off. I know they get stuck and I may need to get at it with a pry bar, but I wanted to make sure that was the case before I gave it a shot.

Where can I look up panther marine and figure out what distributor they used?

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know how the hell you found that! I kept coming up with some company in the Pacific NW that produces jet drives! This is incredibly invaluable. Thank you so much. I am glad to see this engine MFG is still around, I'd love to repower this boat in the semi-near future (next couple of years, hopefully) and it would be great to purchase a direct replacement!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

you wont find marine distributor parts at pep boys.

If I recall, Panther was around in 92/93 and did some inboards. I would look to see what other marinizers used at distributors for that time frame to identify your cap/rotor on sites even like iboats.

the rotor will be stuck by rust. removing it, takes a bit of force in that case

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info. I managed to find the replacement's today and swapped it out along with the plug wires. I finished with only a few minutes left before I had to take off and it didn't solve the problem. Still won't start. I'll have to check to see if I'm getting spark all of the way at the plugs (I wasn't previously).

rickryder

Commander

Get to the basics..air,fuel,compression,spark and exhaust... If you find spark at the wire ends...check the plugs....check for fuel when you pump accelerator... if you have those go to compression test.....let us know what you find out.