Dissolving and Resolving Waterlogged Foam

rml

Seaman
I have run into a situation where a foam core in my 24' Reinell is waterlogged due to improper sealing of the holes used to inject the original material. The foam appears to be about 16" X 36" located on the starboard side in the engine compartment. Could that amount of water cause the boat to not trim properly? I know that it needs to come out of there else the r-o-t will be soon to follow into the exposed endgrain plywood. I have heard that acetone can be used to dissolve the foam which then can be "drained" through a hole that I have yet to drill. I would rather not remove any flooring as the season is just getting underway, but I would like to get rid of the water ASAP. Any helpful advice is appreciated.<br /><br />Regards,<br /><br />Mark Libby<br />iboats user: rml

D

DJ

Re: Dissolving and Resolving Waterlogged Foam

rml,<br /><br />That foam if completely waterlogged would be ABOUT 250 lbs.<br /><br />I don't know about the acetone method, I would hate try it and find it dissolved my whole boat.<br /><br />Best to just get at it and chip it out. Try to dry out the area first.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Acetone won't hurt your boat (unless it catches fire) but it won't disolve the foam either. Old water-logged stuff will just have ta be dug out.<br /><br />g'luck & c/6<br /><br />Hooty

jvolpe28

Seaman

how did you find out the foam was wet, I found a soft spot on the floor but I have no way to look down there to check the foam, my make of boat has all glass stringers, only wood is on the floor, i wish I could have a peek at that foam without cutting the floor

rml

Seaman

Thanks Hooty - I also have read that some folks used to use gasoline. I will probably steer clear of any melting method, although it would be kinda neat to pour it in, drain it out, refill and seal, all without cutting a thread of glass or wood or otherwise affecting the boat itself.<br /><br />jvolpe28 - Under the carpets in the engine hatch there are four ~1" holes (two per side) that had what appeared to be aerosol foam protruding from them. I poked into them with a screwdriver and have determined that at least one is nearly completely waterlogged (water perks out of the fill hole when an object is pushed in). Lot's of people thought that foam was permanently impervious to water so they neglected to seal the cavity fill holes - oops.<br /><br />I guess it's time to get the saw out and at least make a hole big enough the reach in there and start hauling it out. Any suggestions for substitute products that have superior buoyancy to foam to refill with?<br /><br />Regards,<br /><br />Mark Libby<br />iboats user: rml