Dismantling steering

mattsaks

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am trying to free up the steering on my 90 tohatsu. I have a bit of time on my hands at the moment so figured now was a good time!<br />I have removed power head, lower unit and mid section. I am stuck now as to how you separate the shaft itself. I know some motors (like suzukis) have a circlip at the bottom holding it all together. I cant see anything like this on the tohatsu? Has anyone taken one of these this far apart? What should I do now?<br />Thanks, Matt

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Dismantling steering

There is a circlip at the bottom of the steering shaft assy. Normally you shouldn't have to pull all those parts. Usually you can just apply heat to the swivel bracket or steering tube (which ever one is stuck) and it will free up.

mattsaks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tried that when it was all together. It freed it up a bit but not as good as i want it. So the circlip at the bottom, is it an internal one? I coudnt see one, but i'll go and have another look. Theres a bit of rust inside the tube at the bottom which could be hiding it.<br />So, if i try heat again, do you think i should aim it up the tube from the bottom? i havent done that yet as the l/u was on last time.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

At the bottom of the swivel bracket is a coupler that is held onto the drive shaft housing with two bolts. The circlip is at the bottom of the coupler. Once you remove the circlip the coupler will slide off. The only thing that would still be holding the steering shaft would be dried grease/salt. Heat up the swivel bracket with a torch(heat, not flashlight) and wiggle the bracket off of the shaft.

mattsaks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hmmmm. the bottom of the tube is a bit messy with corrosion. i will try and clean it up and find the circlip, otherwise it will be back to the heating

mattsaks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gave up on the circlip idea. Found the stuck spot on the tube. A few heat cycles with the the blow torch down the tube did it wonders. Just like a new one...<br />Thanks Elvin for your good advice and ideas.