Discs versus drums

Gordon111

Cadet
Hi, <br />i hope this discussion was not handled here up to now: Is it worth to spend the $ 200 additionally to buy a trailer with disc brakes or are drum brakes good enough ? I want to buy a loadrite 2 axle trailer with brakes on every axle. My boat is a 21' Sea Ray (weight: 3700 pounds). And what is the special gimmick with the name "surge brakes" ? Can you order both types of brakes as a surge brake ?<br />Thanks for the help !<br /><br />Gordon

D

DJ

Re: Discs versus drums

Gordon,<br /><br />GO with the discs. You can see whats going on without disassembly. They're also MUCH easier to service.<br /><br />Yes, the "surge" application system works for both.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Gordon - I have run with both. The drum brakes were always needing something. The initial cost of disc brakes is higher but much cheaper in the long run - - and they are more effective. If cost is a big issue for you I would rather have one axle with discs than twin axle drums. I pull a 23' Wellcraft CC with twin engines and single axle disc brakes.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Gordon<br />If you do any Saltwater at all go with the Stainless Steel Disc brakes. I had drum but the drums rusted very bad. I now have the Stainless steel disk and they are great.<br /><br />Surge brakes use the weight of the trailer to put on the brake. When you are stopping the trailer pushes forward and this force is used to push the brake master cylinder on the trailer coupler. Works very well except when backing. If you need to back up hill or over a curb as you are pushing back on trailer it will apply the trailer brakes and the harder you push the more it will apply the trailers brakes. To fix that problem they put in a solenoid to stop brakes from working when the backup lights are on. So make sure you hook up that circuit. Not all trailers come with the Reverse lockout Solenoid but I would reccomend you make sure you get it.