Disable safety neutral switch on Yamaha 40HP?

GATiger

Cadet
Hi,

I've been struggling with starting problems on my 2004 Yamaha 40 HP outboard motor which seems to be the result of an issue with my kill switch (or safety neutral switch). I've replaced my kill switch twice now and still having the same problem- motor only turns over after LOTS of jostling around with the lanyard while ignition is engaged. After the motor finally starts, it'll fire right back up over and over, but when it's cold same problem persists. Please let me know if any of you know of a fix for this, or f there's a way I could completely disable this kill switch to help fix this starting problem.

Many thanks!
Mark

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Disable safety neutral switch on Yamaha 40HP?

Are you saying that the motor will not turn over or that it will not fire up even though it is turning?

The kill switch grounds the ignition so there is no spark going to the plugs , but the starter will engage and turn the motor over.
The neutral safety switch keeps the starter from engaging.

Have you thought about the key switch being bad?

GATiger

Cadet

The starter engages and the motor turns fine, but won't fire until hours of trying while messing around with the lanyard.

Haven't thought about the key switch. Thanks! Do you think this may be the root cause?

Appreciate it!
Mark

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

The key switch and the kill switch ground the same wire to kill spark if I am not mistaken.
Also could be the wire itself is going to ground somewhere

GATiger

Cadet

Okay thanks 99yam40! I check to see if I can find if the wires are going to ground.

Appreciate it!
Mark