FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
I have a 3 gallon remote fule tank that looks to have a heavy layer of sludge on the bottom. Is there a way to clean the tank or should I just replace it.
My small engines teacher once told me to use mineral sprits with BB's inside the tank. Shake the whole tank and the BB's should remove alot of the sludge build up. It works I have done it a few times.
All of the above, plus power-wash the inside as a final step...take it to the car wash, then let it dry out, run some alcohol to ensure the water is gone...check the inside and maybe use a sealant if necessary.
I have a 3 gallon remote fule tank that looks to have a heavy layer of sludge on the bottom. Is there a way to clean the tank or should I just replace it.Thanks
I usually start with the cheapest thing---which is kerosene for me---and use sheet metal or drywall screws because they do a much better job of breaking loose the crud than gravel or BBs.
If a couple of courses of that doesn't do it I switch to the 'hard stuff'---lacquer thinner. That will usually do the trick but if anything remains I use Super Clean concentrate from the automotive dept. at Walmart full strength for a few hours. I wouldn't leave the undiluted concentrate in a tank overnight though!
Remember that the shaking is the part that does the work---the cleaners just make it easier and faster! HTH, Tom @ Buzzard Bluff