DirecTV wants me back... LOL

Homerr

Commander
So I get an e-mail from DirecTV wanting back as a customer. This is what I sent them back:<br /><br />.<br />.<br />.<br /><br />I received your e-mail about wanting me back?<br /><br />Well, I tell you what... I am paying only $17 a month for my C-band service.<br />If you will let me choose what channels I want to pay for and can meet or beat that price, then I'll come back to DirectTV!<br /><br />It is true that C-band doesn't have the quality, but that's not a factor for me.<br /><br />I left because you simply priced me out. I told you that if you raised your prices one more time, that I was gone. And sure enough... you raised them.<br /><br />I don't watch 80% of the programming that you make customers pay for. Most of the programming is pure junk. Let customers choose their own 'package' and pricing.<br /><br />Meet or beat the price, or remove me from your mailing lists.<br /><br />Thank you<br /><br />.<br />.<br />.<br /><br />You think they'll get the point? LOL!<br />According to their web site, their basic package is $42 a month. Now honestly... how many of their customers watch ALL those basic channels to justify paying that much a month?<br /><br />With my C-Band, I can choose 1 channel, or a hundred. I only pay for what I want to watch. :) <br /><br /><br />H.

ndemge

Commander
Re: DirecTV wants me back... LOL

....how hard is it to get setup on cband?.. all I want is about 4 chanels, <br /><br />I dropped my package down to local chanels only because of my shatty reception... not paying $40 for my 2 hours of tv I watch a month... but I would like to watch when I do want to.

rwise

Captain

They don't care, I told them about the same thing over a year ago. Not a word since. My SIL went to work for DISH network and gets that for free! They live with me so I don't care,,,, right now. And I can't watch more than one show at a time.<br /><br />180 channels of nothing to watch. <br /><br />Give us the choice or good by.<br /><br />I don't need or want that many channels.

Homerr

Commander

Noel...<br /><br />C-band isn't the easiest to set up due to their size. They are also known as the "Bud" or "Big Ugly Dish"<br /><br />If you have a spot where you can put a large 7 or 8 foot dish, then you're good to go.<br /><br />As far as the equipment, I would just drive around and look for a dish someone isn't using.<br />If you see a C-band in someone's yard and they also have a small dish, it's a good bet they aren't using the big one.<br /><br />Be picky though... Get a newer screen-type dish. You don't want one of those ancient solid ones.<br />Also make sure it has a 'ram' type actuator (dish mover)... Mine is an old gear type that is wearing out, and I can't get parts. Good thing is, I have a neighbor who wants a newer dish removed from his rental property :) .<br /><br />I wouldn't pay much (if any) for the big dish. Most people that have swithced away from the big dish will be happy for you to simply take it down.<br />I paid $100 for a complete system right down to the cable and 2 receivers!<br /><br />As far as the receiver, you can get a digital (4DTV) system, but they can get spendy. I still use an older analog system. Hopefully whoever you get the dish from will toss the receiver in too.<br /><br />You can get almost all of this off EBay dirt cheap as well.<br /><br />H.

eeboater

Commander

I have DirecTV and so far have been very happy. Of course, I have TiVo and I take full advantage of the full array of channels as well.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I'm happy with DirecTV quality, but the price is steep. We cancelled the HBO and Cinimax package a few months back and just go with the basic service. Don't miss it at all.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

I did indeed like DTV more back in the day when it was publicly hackable :D ;)

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Not that I did indeed hold any knowledge regarding that particular skill set.

Homerr

Commander

UPDATE:<br /><br />I got e-mails from 3 different customer service reps and neither one of them will say YES or NO if they will let me choose my own channels for $17 a month... ROFL<br /><br />I keep getting transfered to this department or that. Now they are saying they can't make any offers via e-mail. They want to call.<br /><br />I told them don't bother calling, as it would go unanswered. So they tried to call anyway (according to one of the e-mails)... <br /><br />What part of 'don't call' didn't they understand? ROFL <br />They can't call me anyway... They don't have my current number! :D <br /><br />I'm having way too much fun with these knuckleheads at DTV. :p <br /><br />I want to see how many of them will e-mail me before they will say, "Sorry, but there is no way we can provide service for $17 and let you choose which channels you want to pay for"<br />"You must pay our outrageous prices for channels and service you'll never use"<br /><br /><br />I'll keep ya posted!<br /><br /> :) <br /><br /><br />H.

cajun1

Cadet

trying "Dish Network" for a year, guess it's about the same as direct. gotta pay for a whole package of nothing to watch. if it rains a little - no service. loved my big ugly dish, could watch during a hurricane if we still had electricity. year will be up in Oct. i think, may look into hooking the c-band back up

Link

Rear Admiral

Homerr<br />In our area a lot of hams will do the same. Drive around looking for old out dated dishes.. most get them for free. Just for removing them. We use them for (Earth Moon Earth) EME communications.. <br />IE: Bouncing radio waves off the moon back to earth and talking.<br />Works for me.. <br /> :) :)

Stumpys

Petty Officer 1st Class

I really like Directv, which is $43.00 a month. We had Time Warner cable before that, and it was $86.00 a month for the same channels. One of my mowing customers has one of the big dishes. I think next time I'm over there, I will ask if they use it or even want it anymore. Sounds like c-band is the way to go.

ndemge

Commander

So who do you actually pay your $17 to get your service? <br /><br />I've got the room to put the BUD.

Homerr

Commander

There are lots of providers for C-Band service. That is one of the best points of C-band... you have a lot of providers to choose from, not just one like DTV.<br /><br />I happen to go through this place:<br /><br /> http://www.satelliteprogramming.com/ <br /><br />I pay 90 days at a time for the channels I watch.<br />This place is fast and you can do everything right from the internet.<br /><br />H.

Homerr

Commander

UPDATE:<br /><br />It's been a few days and I haven't heard from DTV... I'm starting to feel neglected :D <br /><br />I think I need to get some counceling now... :p <br /><br /><br /> :) <br /><br />H.

Stratosfied

Ensign

This is gonna sound stupid, but can ya still buy one of those big dishes?? I haven't seen one in ages around here.