Diodes or oil pressure switch?

penske

Cadet
1998 Volvo Penta 4.3 gl Model # 432BPBYC Drive Unit #3868720 Transom #3868413 in a 1998 Four Winns RS 208 hours on the motor Serial # of motor T01306611

Shop keeps telling me I have an oil pressure switch as part of the starting process to get the fuel pump running.. Don S ( rest in peace ) told me 2 years ago that I have a relay with Diodes that takes power from the slave during cranking and when motor kicks off the alternator takes over to run the pump. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Lake Norman Boater in NC

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: Diodes or oil pressure switch?

Hi there, Rest assured that Don has you set in the right direction while the shop is either thinking of the Mercruiser system or a different Volvo engine model since Volvo has a tendency to set up different ways of running their 12v systems to different engine models they have.

Bear in mind that in general just talking about something like this say over the phone for some people without being in their working on the system hands on, It can be difficult to keep up with what system you are working on/talking about if you don't do it almost everyday. But of course once you bring the boat in for service, your hoping that they will do what your supposed to do and look it up in the manual so they know what to do next.

Here is your service manual wiring diagram, you will see #2 is the fuel pump relay, and #3 is the diode Don mentioned.

Boatinfo - Volvo Penta BY series engines Electrical & Ignition Service Manual

penske

Cadet
Re: Diodes or oil pressure switch?

Thanks Fun Times for the reply. Sometimes I think we all know more than we think we do. Some Tecs. should look it up before they put info like that out there or look under the hood.

Lake Norman Boater in NC