diode check

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
is there a procedure to checking diodes, My motor is a 1963 electromatic 75hp. I want to see if they are causing the prob why I can not charge my bat.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: diode check

Juice..... Disconnect the diode leads so that the diodes are not connected to anything.<br /><br />Using a ohm meter set to high ohms, connect one meter lead to the diode terminal and the other meter lead to ground. Now reverse the ohm meter leads.<br /><br />On a good diode, you would get a reading in one direction (meter lead hookup) and none in the other (meter leads reversed).

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks joe, do I need to put the key to the on position or just have the battery hooked up?,I am assuming the motor will be off with the diodes not hooked up?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Juice.... A diode can be checked out all by itself on the workbench for that matter. There is no need for the key to be on or to even have the battery hooked up.<br /><br />To be on the safe side, I'd recommend that you disconnect the cables from the positive (+) side of the battery to prevent any possible expensive accident.<br /><br />Keep in mind that you are checking for ohms resistance here, not voltage.