dinged my prop...but

nicknight

Seaman
My question is about my spare.

My spare is in perfect shape except at the hub. when looking at it from behind there is a 1/2" flat spot on the hub itself. I never thought of it being an issue at all but is it?

Also I damaged my prop. on 2 of three blades while going at idle speed (40HP)...it does not look bad to my eye but I did take about an 1/8 of an inch off the edge of one and maybe flattened the other by about as much.......if it works good at high speed am I OK or should I be posting pictures?

nick night

Last edited:

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer
Re: please delete

Do you want to confine the damage to the prop? Or do you want to go fishing? Your prop will be at best out of balance, causing a vibration which could damage the engine. At worst, it could damage the engine and leave you stranded.

This is one of those times when you are going to have to make a decision whether to do what you want or to do the smart thing.

Your choice.

nicknight

Seaman

Do you want to confine the damage to the prop? Or do you want to go fishing? Your prop will be at best out of balance, causing a vibration which could damage the engine. At worst, it could damage the engine and leave you stranded.

This is one of those times when you are going to have to make a decision whether to do what you want or to do the smart thing.

Your choice.

the spare has the flat spot on the hub area....the prop has the damage on the blades.

************.....which prop are you talking about?....the spare or the one still on the boat? enginge damge or gearbox damage or both?*********

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think Bob's saying both props are damaged, and as such both can potentially do damage to the rest of the outdrive (balance issues). There's a whole business around fixing props. If they are lightly damaged as you say, I'd take them to a shop and have them refurbed. Shouldn't be too much money, and you'll have peace of mind running them.

nicknight

Seaman

On closer inspection I did more damage to the prop than I thought, took it off and put on the one with the slight ding on round hub part (it is about 1/4" slightly flattened) and went out. It is not like I was going to travel 50Miles on a bad prop so either way would have likely been OK and that "

a bit of a high handed response that was not helpful but I could have posted pics."...make a decision whether to do what you want or to do the smart thing...."

I will send off pictures of both to the prop shop. thanks.