Digital Photo Reproduction

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class
eeboater's post on organizing digital photos reminded me of questions I’ve been meaning to ask this crew for some time:<br /><br />1. How do you scan/convert 35mm slides to digital? I have thousands dating back to the ‘60s that I’d like to bring into the 21st century. I tried a couple of yeas ago using an HP scanner that supposedly did slides – the results were miserable.<br /><br />2. What’s the best, most reasonably priced source for 8mm and Super 8mm home movies on DVD?<br /><br />Thanks in advance - tcube

eeboater

Commander
Re: Digital Photo Reproduction

I'd have to think that you might be able to take it to a Digital imaging/camera store and they may be able to convert them for you at a reasonable price. Thousands of slides seems like a HUGE task that can only be done with specialized equipment. Unless you have a LOT of time on your hands.<br /><br />Good luck.<br />Sean

KaGee

Admiral

I make my own DVD's. The hardware and the software was around $400. It is a very time consuming process, something not done on the cheap.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Project your 8mm movies and videotape it with a camera.<br /><br />Then you can play it back into a video capture card and save it on the computer.<br /><br />You can do the same with the slides.<br /><br />Cheapest way I can think of. Quality wont be good.<br /><br />Ken

Xcusme

Commander

For slides , they have adaptors to attach to a digital camera. Put in slide, snap a pic, your done..you do have to use the macro mode on the camera.<br /><br />Here's one for a Nikon Digital camera...<br /> Slide Adaptor..

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Xcusme:<br /> For slides , they have adaptors to attach to a digital camera. Put in slide, snap a pic, your done..you do have to use the macro mode on the camera.<br /><br />Here's one for a Nikon Digital camera...<br /> Slide Adaptor..
tcube<br />That might be a better way to go if you have so many.<br />My Scanner has a adapter built into the cover for slides and 35mm negatives. (HP 3570c) Tried it once with the same results as you. However later on figured out what I did wrong. Maybe will try again and post.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've seen it done as per Ken's suggestion and it works really well. You need 2 people to get through it quickly - one operating the slide projector and the other on the digital camera. As long as the room is darkened out and the image is sharp on the screen you'll get a surprisingly good result.

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Appreciate the replies. <br /><br />Ken & Kiwi - I've tried that before and it does work. Not the best results but good enough for most.<br /><br />Xcusme - I'll look into that, too. I have a Nikon Coolpix 775. I'd like to see if they have an adaptor for it.<br /><br />Link - If you can figure out how to get successful scans, I'd sure like to know.<br /><br />What ever method I use, time is NOT a factor. I've got a bunch - least wise I hope I do :rolleyes:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I have an HP3970 scanner. It has a slide/negative deal built into the lid. Insert slide, click on approriate buttons, presto, its in your computer.<br />Scanned two slides to see if it worked.<br />I haven't tried it with a negative yet.

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by roscoe:<br /> I have an HP3970 scanner. It has a slide/negative deal built into the lid. Insert slide, click on approriate buttons, presto, its in your computer.<br />Scanned two slides to see if it worked.<br />I haven't tried it with a negative yet.
I "Think" where I messed up is that I needed to do a mirror (sp) image with the negative.. just put a note up to try both tomorrow after work. Will post then. <br /><br />Link

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My mum brought a dedicated negative scanner <br /><br /> http://www.imaging-resource.com/SCAN/FS4000/FS40A.HTM <br /><br />She has been very impressed the photos produced from old negatives have been excellent. The ones done from new negatives you wouldnt know the difference. As with all things there are tips and tricks that get the best results.