Difference in Merc 888/898

mrboat

Cadet
i have a '76 mercruiser 888 with the ford 302 in it. i was reading that the only difference between the 888 and 898 was ford / chevy motor. would i be able to fit a chev 350 in place of that ford without alot of modifications?

not a big ford fan. plus i have easy access to a decent 350.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Difference in Merc 888/898

Bell housing and exhaust manifolds are different,Then all the little things that make the difference between a chev and ford will pop up.
They will not interchange.Unless you have deep pockets.Keep it a ford!!!!. Jerry

Uraijit

Banned

Yup, not gotta be worth the expense to convert.

New starter, alternator, bellhousing, exhaust manifolds and risers, bellhousing, engine mounts, intake/carb, coupler, fly wheel, etc.

Unless you find a real screaming deal on a bobtail engine somewhere, and have plenty of time on your hands for the swap, just sell the Ford, and buy something with a Chevy in it.

mrboat

Cadet

thanks for the info guys. i guess i will stay with the ford. but you know what a buddy of mine says. . .

Found On River Dead

MikDee

Banned

The 888 Ford, is not a bad little motor, it just needs a 4bbl. Trying to find a 4bbl manifold is like trying to find "hens teeth", maybe you could buy an aftermarket one new, but it'll prob. be aluminum, which won't hold up well in salt water! fresh water, would not be a problem. A 600cfm 4bbl would be a nice setup.

The 198 is a 305 Chevy with a 2bbl carb, or 228hp with a 4bbl carb
A standard 350 Chevy marine engine is 230hp with a 2bbl, and 260hp with a 4bbl

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

The coversion would be costly & not worth it, imho.....
The 888 is a good set up....
The fact that the 302 in your boat is 32 years old & still runs is a testament to it's reliability....
I have the same set up in my '73 Sea Ray & it still runs well....;)

WizeOne

Commander

....not a big ford fan..

You out to be. It has a distributor out where you can get to it and a starter that you do not have to do handstands in your bilge to get out, not to mention the Ford does not rust up and break off starter bolts that you have to pull the engine to extract.

That 302 is a durable motor with plenty of poop, even with a two barrel. I have one in an 18 foot runabout that is a real rocket ship.

MikDee

Banned

You out to be. It has a distributor out where you can get to it and a starter that you do not have to do handstands in your bilge to get out, not to mention the Ford does not rust up and break off starter bolts that you have to pull the engine to extract.

That 302 is a durable motor with plenty of poop, even with a two barrel. I have one in an 18 foot runabout that is a real rocket ship.

These were things I liked about the 302 Ford! ;)

WizeOne

Commander

..... Trying to find a 4bbl manifold is like trying to find "hens teeth",....

You are correct on that one but they are out there. We have a sizeable motor salvage yard nearby that all the local machine shops use to get blocks, heads and other misc motor parts but they said it has been a long time since they saw a 4bbl OEM iron manifold.

I got a real clean one off of Craigslist for $50. You just have to be patient. The problem with ebay, if they show up, would be the freight.

I also had Holley rebuild a little 500 cfm 4160 marine carb for my 18 ft 888. Just the perfect size for that 8.0:1 cr motor. It was not cheap but cheaper than a new one. Few other rebuilders flow test their carbs Additionally the new ones do not come with externally adjustable floats or bowl inspection plugs.

I have just hesitated to install the mani and carb. That is a lot of value to install at a time of reduced boat values and high gas prices. I'm just going to hang back and see. It's not like my current set up is anything close to a t**d.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

You are correct on that one but they are out there. We have a sizeable motor salvage yard nearby that all the local machine shops use to get blocks, heads and other misc motor parts but they said it has been a long time since they saw a 4bbl OEM iron manifold.

I got a real clean one off of Craigslist for $50. You just have to be patient. The problem with ebay, if they show up, would be the freight.

I also had Holley rebuild a little 500 cfm 4160 marine carb for my 18 ft 888. Just the perfect size for that 8.0:1 cr motor. It was not cheap but cheaper than a new one. Few other rebuilders flow test their carbs Additionally the new ones do not come with externally adjustable floats or bowl inspection plugs.

I have just hesitated to install the mani and carb. That is a lot of value to install at a time of reduced boat values and high gas prices. I'm just going to hang back and see. It's not like my current set up is anything close to a t**d.

Ive heard that particular carb was a bit to ugly to hang on even a old barge....:p

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Ive heard that particular carb was a bit to ugly to hang on even a old barge....:p
HMMMMM....
If memory serves right, the 'old barge' with the 888 hauled your fat *** over the Columbia Bar & back again......;)
"Foisting" gas guzzlers on the unsuspecting public, shame on you....:eek:
Must be in league with BIG OIL!.......:D