difference going from a 25hp merc 2stroke to a 25 merc 4strokew/big foot

aintright11

Recruit
i currently have a 25hp mercury 2stroke,i'm looking to go up to the rated 50hp merc 4 stroke with a big foot but due to the cost right now i've got a chance to get a 25hp merc 4stroke w/big foot.my wife and i are usally the only people out but some times there are 2 more adults and 2grandbabys.i have a 18 foot pontoon and we're never in a hurry so we just putt around.does any one know or have had the same question?thanks for any input.

cc350

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: difference going from a 25hp merc 2stroke to a 25 merc 4strokew/big foot

No 2 stroke oil
Less noise
Better fuel economy

Win Win...

coleman kayak1

Petty Officer 1st Class

But it will be heavier, and require oil changes :)

Not familiar with the bigfoot design but I can't imagine it being a huge difference, I think you will see at most a mile per hour in either direction. Doesn't sound like your shooting for performance and as mentioned 4 stroke does have some advantages.

Jeep Man

Commander

Go for the Bigfoot. Bigger prop means more bite. I have a 60 Bigfoot 4 stroke and my last toon had a 30 2 stroke Evinrude. The most improvement you will see is fuel economy, the lack of smoke, and the ability to carry on a conversation without having to shout.

aintright11

Recruit

thank you for the input,may the good LORD bless you and yours from me and mine

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would not swap a 25 for another 25 and expect any significant difference. I would save the $$$ and wait until I could go with the 50. That's just me though.

treker

Seaman

Same here, save the cash till you can get the 50

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

I would not swap a 25 for another 25 and expect any significant difference. I would save the $$$ and wait until I could go with the 50. That's just me though.

yep.

KoenBrink

Seaman Apprentice

Go for the Bigfoot. Bigger prop means more bite. I have a 60 Bigfoot 4 stroke and my last toon had a 30 2 stroke Evinrude. The most improvement you will see is fuel economy, the lack of smoke, and the ability to carry on a conversation without having to shout.

Yes, I completely agree with Jeep Man.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Actual speed difference going to a 25 bigfoot from a properly setup regular foot would be little but the big foot will experience less ventilation(cavitation) issues.And control at the dock
should be better.
Before going to a 4 stroke you might check out the Evinrude Etec Direct injection 2 stroke they exceed all carb requirements.They are generally lighter than a matching 4 stroke.
No service requirements for 3 years or 300 hours.No breakin period.
Fewer less complicated service intervals.
The advantage of say a 50 hp is mostly that if you cruise casually the motor will be loafing more than any 25. By the way some 4 strokes "make oil" when operated for extended periods at reduced speeds.As I understand it the oil is diluted by gas that gets by the rings.This actually increases the oil level.If you do a search on the net you will find a clearer explanation probably detailing actual speeds etc.