Diet

NathanY

Commander
Ok heres the deal folks, I have got to change my diet. I eat too much junk. I eat way to much red meat. I am fat, my blood pressure is high, and my cholestoral is too high.<br /><br />I need some recipes for lower carb, high protein meals.<br /><br />I am going to Wally World to buy a steamer. I love steamed vegitables. <br /><br />I can not eat anymore red meat. Doc says I need to start eating healthier.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Diet

Me too Nate, let's start a diet support group for folks here on iboats.<br />I have seen them elsewhere.<br />"Time to stop" for the smokers.<br />"Time to lose" for the overweight.<br />ETC.

ehenry

Commander

Sounds like lots of Narrow Faced Yard Walker and fish for you, Nate!!! Broccoli eat lots of broccoli andcut down on the beer.

gaugeguy

Captain

Yup, me too Nate.<br /><br />Cholesterol is my downfall. I wasn't trying to lose weight, just trying to drop the cholesterol levels, but dropped almost 20 lbs since the beginning of the year.<br /><br />Reduced portions, lots of veggies, fruits and fiber, and tons of water. Don't eat after 7pm either.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Nate, I know how old you are and you should have at least another 10years to live if you keep on with your current lifestyle, so, what's the worry? Chief ;)

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

Also one of the biggest things is portions. My biggest downfall. <br /> <br />They have a saying "your eyes were bigger then your stomach" My stomach has caught up. :D ;)

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

Nate,<br /><br />ask Spinner to email his diet he was doing last year. My wife sent it to him. It's the no nothing diet....I don't see how anyone can survive on it...it has nothing good on it (except the egg in the morning).<br /><br />Notice I have not used it....Couldn't get that much courage :D

NathanY

Commander

Originally posted by Chief 101:<br /> Nate, I know how old you are and you should have at least another 10years to live if you keep on with your current lifestyle, so, what's the worry? Chief ;)
Thats exactly right Chief, I'm 27, and would like to see 37.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Good luck to you Nate, I know with your resolve you will handle this job admirably. Chief ;)

NYMINUTE

Captain

Quote my Dad. Best exercise for a diet:<br />Push Yourself Away From The Dinner Table!<br />Mmmmm, easier said than done.

ZmOz

Captain

I've lost almost 40lbs in the last 8 months or so. Very little exercise. I still get double cheeseburgers at Wendys a couple times a week. I just eat less and drink lots of water. When I eat meals I try to chug alot of water to fill up my stomach faster. All the caffeine I have probably helps too... :D

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

I'd simply cut out the simple sugars first (carbs). No more sweet tea, candy bars, stuff loaded with sugar and low or no nutritional value.<br /><br />I would not eliminate, but reduce the other carb-rich food last (vegetables, breads, etc.)<br /><br />Simply put, your body will burn that sugar in your digestive track first before it burns stored fat. Cut down the sugar and you will burn fat quicker. Make sure you get plenty of water so your liver can do one of it's functions (burning fat). When you don't drink enough water, your kidneys don't work as well and your liver has to pick up the slack. Something like that...

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by KeltonKrew:<br /> Nate,<br /><br />ask Spinner to email his diet he was doing last year. My wife sent it to him. It's the no nothing diet....I don't see how anyone can survive on it...it has nothing good on it (except the egg in the morning).<br /><br />Notice I have not used it....Couldn't get that much courage :D
Oh man you talking about the Kashi Go-Lean ceral diet? :eek: <br />Your right, the egg in the morning is it. :D

ZmOz

Captain

I was surprised how quickly my stomach shrunk...if you can just tough it out and go hungry for a couple weeks, it won't take you as much food to get full. I used to be able to eat nearly a whole pizza in one sitting, now I can't even eat half without feeling sick.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Originally posted by Nate in Arkansas:<br /> I eat too much junk. I eat way to much red meat.
Sounds like a great life to me. I know the feeling brother. I am 31 in a few days, 5',8" , and weigh in around 245-250. Its not all fat, I'm a stout litle white boy, but the gut needs to go. My biggest problem is I eat way too much and too often. I may eat 6 meals a day plus snack in between. My work scedule just changed to 12A to 8A so it will cut out about 3 of the meals right there. I changed last week and it is already starting to drop. I enjoy eating. A good meal is almost as good as the "other" stuff. Its always been that way. Good luck to you.

FSHKPR

Ensign

there use to be a diet going around called the cabbage soup diet. was intended to be on it for 1 week then off. i cant find it now but it worked for me about 8 years ago. anybody remember that one. it was good because you could eat as much of the soup as you wanted.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by FSHKPR:<br /> there use to be a diet going around called the cabbage soup diet. was intended to be on it for 1 week then off. i cant find it now but it worked for me about 8 years ago. anybody remember that one. it was good because you could eat as much of the soup as you wanted.
Cabage Soup Recipe<br /><br />6 large green onions <br />2 green peppers <br />1 or 2 cans of tomatoes (diced or whole) <br />3 carrots <br />1 container (10 oz. or so) Mushrooms <br />1 bunch celery <br />1/2 head cabbage <br />1 package Lipton soup mix <br />1 or 2 cubes bouillon (optional) <br />1 48oz can V8 juice (optional) <br />Season to taste with salt, pepper, parsley, garlic powder, etc. <br />The diet is as follows.<br /><br />The 7 Days Diet Plan <br />Eat as much soup as you desire for seven days and you can lose 10 to 15 pounds. The recipe varies slightly, but includes a variety of low-calorie vegetables such as cabbage, onions, and tomatoes, flavored with bouillon, onion soup mix, and tomato juice. Each day of the seven-day program has specific foods that must be eaten, including potatoes, fruit juice, many vegetables, and on one day, beef.<br /><br />Day One: <br />Eat only fruit, all the fruit you want except banana. <br />Drink unsweetened tea, black coffee, cranberry juice, and water. <br />Eat as much soup as you like. <br /><br />Day Two:<br />All you want - fresh, raw, or cooked vegetables of your choice. Stay away from dry beans, peas, and sweet corn. Reward yourself with a big baked potato with butter for dinner. Eat as much soup as you like but no fruit for today.<br /><br />Day Three:<br />Combine days one and two, eat as much fruit, vegetables, and soup, as you like but no baked potato. <br /><br />Day Four:<br />Eat as many as eight bananas and drink as many glasses of skim milk as you would like on this day, along with your soup. This day is supposed to lessen your desire for sweets.<br /><br />Day Five:<br />You may have 10-20 ounces of beef (300-500g) and a large tin or up to six fresh tomatoes. Drink at least 6 to 8 glasses of water this day to wash the uric acid from your body. Eat your soup at least once today. You may eat broiled or baked chicken (skinless) instead of beef. If you prefer, you can substitute broiled fish for the beef.<br /><br />Day Six: <br />Eat beef and vegetables today. You can even have two or three steaks if you like, with fresh vegetables or salad. NO BAKED POTATO. Eat your soup at least once.<br /><br />Day Seven:<br />Eat all you want of brown rice, unsweetened fruit juices, and vegetables. Be sure to eat your soup at least once to day. No bread, alcohol, or carbonated beverages, not even diet soda.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Here is a simpliar recipe for the soup.<br />3 large onions <br />1 large green pepper <br />1 head celery <br />Half a dark green cabbage <br />Tin of chopped tomatoes <br />1 pack onion soup mix <br />3 vegetable stock cubes <br /><br /> <br /> <br /><br />METHOD <br /><br />Cut all vegetables into small pieces. <br />Place in a saucepan with the rest of ingredients, cover with water, season and simmer until vegetables are soft. <br />Blend if preferred.

Twidget

Commander

I worked with a guy who ate 6 meals a day, all small. He said it was better for you than the standard 3 meals, because he never got hungry.<br /><br />I think it was fit for life or something like that. We always teased him that is was hungry for life, because he was always eating. It worked though.