diesel technician career

maxxpower

Seaman
Have an opportunity to get into diesel repair field with a 1 year tech school diploma program. The field is expected to remain in high demand for at least <br />the next decade. It is also said to be a somewhat recession proof field. I was curious to see if<br />there are any diesel techs in the Iboats community <br />and what they think of their profession. Thanks!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: diesel technician career

not a diesel tech, diesel makes me sick. I have worked with and for some though.<br /> a good marine diesel tech can almost write his/her own paycheck.<br /> however it takes a lot of hard work to be the best.<br /> lots of self study and always trying to do each job better and faster.<br />most of todays marine diesels are going to Electronic controls so a thorough understanding of trons is absolutly nessasary.<br />once your done with that intro program line yourself up with a good dealership.<br /> I stick with gas and outboard yet now I can bill 75/hr and have a 6 week waiting list.

KRS

Banned

Phelps Dodge Mining Corporation will hire you and put you through school (in Arizona).

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have to work on both at work and am ASE certified but I don't consider myself a diesel mechanic. Good Diesel mechanics are hard to find. With a 1 year degree they teach you enough to make ya dangerous and turn ya loose to learn the rest on your own. they are not that hard to work on the new ones just like gas engines are all computer controlled. the draw back is everything weighs alot more.