Diesel Engine Discussions?

18rabbit

Captain
I have not been to this forum because I do not own an I/O. But I see some mention of diesels here. :) <br /><br />I am going through the learning curve of owning a Cat 3208T. Is this the right forum for diesel discussion?

18rabbit

Captain
Re: Diesel Engine Discussions?

Thanks DJ!!! I didn’t know iBoats care about us. I feel soooo loved, now. :)

D

DJ

Oh yeah! I love diesels. Most of my adult life has been involved with them, very few marine though. :( <br /><br />You know the saying about diesel exhaust.............."smells like-MONEY"!! :D

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Yes Sir.. Diesel inboard is the only way to go.. :D $cha-ching$... <br /><br />See quite a few 3208's around...

18rabbit

Captain

Snapper - you are likely to see them for awhile still... :) <br /><br />The folks at the local Cat parts dept tell me the 3208 has the largest distribution of any Cat engine. There are still a few million in use. The 3208 was discontinued almost 2-years ago because of emissions laws. The last of 3208’s were purchased by the 40-ft shipping container full and sent to Louisiana boat yards.

D

DJ

A little history lesson.<br /><br />The 3208 was developed by Ford Motor Company as an alternative to the Detroit Diesel Fuel Pincher 8.2L, V-8 diesel (affectionately known as the: Blue Grenade :D ). I can't remember the Ford name but, they were painted red.<br /><br />It was developed for the L-Series truck line for L-7's and 8's. Some even went into F-600, 700, 800.<br /><br />Cat liked the engine and bought the rights from Ford and increased the displacement and added a turbo option. A promise was made to Ford that they would have exclusive rights (automotive) to it, for a period of years. That ended in 1986 with the introduction of the in line 6 cyl., 6.6L and 7.8L "Brazilian" diesels. Of which many are in boats (mostly trawlers) as Ford/Lehmans.<br /><br />The engine that Ford developed was based off of their gas 534 cid. truck engine. A brute in itself.

18rabbit

Captain

Thanks DJ. I love this motor. If I could get it out of the boat I would haul it down to San Francisco city hall and get us a marriage license… :) <br /><br />Our 3208T critter jumps to life with about ¼ turn on it. I want to keep it that way. I’ve been doing a lot of reading on fuel and oil and filtration for both. Actually, I’ve been doing a lot of reading on the whole diesel thing…3208 in particular. I have questions. Is this iBoats forum strong on diesel topics? Boy, do I have questions…

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

There's only one way to tell if we can help you: ASK!

Walt T

Lieutenant

Ask away, wrong answers and dumb looks are always free.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

3208's came frome a long line of engines.<br />Started as 1140 1150 1160 series (same bore - different stroke) all with an inline injector pumps. Cat then used the 3160 variant in construction equipment for years with the 3208 supplied for the truck market then to marine. The last of the marine versions develop quite serious HP but have very different internals from where the family started.<br />Good money earners for the parts industry for many years.<br /><br />Look after it <br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Peter

D

DJ

18rabbit,<br /><br />Clean fuel means "diesel nirvana"! :D

18rabbit

Captain

DJ - Snapper has put me onto the right track for building a fuel polishing system. Priced the Gulf Coast Filter (mod F-1 … the paper towel filter) and had to get hit with the electro-paddles to get the heart started again. But, I probably order it next week…after the paddles recharge. :)

D

DJ

18rabbit,<br /><br />I also should have mentiond that good coolant is also "diesel nirvana".<br /><br />The 3208 is a parent bore engine-no sleeves. Thus coolant maintenace is absolutely imperative.<br /><br />The coolant may be green and look good, but, what's the PH level?<br /><br />Diesel engine ccolant should be treated and PH level checked often with PH strips available at any diesel shop.<br /><br />If it's out of whack, change the coolant and put a coolant conditioner in it. I am also a fan of coolant filter/conditioner units.<br /><br />See, isn't owning a boat fun! :D