Dies when giving it throttle and putting in reverse

Hello,

I have a 1986 Invader OMC 4.3 I/O which I bought this year. When I first bought it, I was told it needed a new electric choke. At the time, the boat had problems starting cold but would throttle up fine and also run fine when in reverse but would die in neutral.

I have since replaced the electric choke and it now starts up just fine and idles in neutral just fine but dies about 70% of the time when I give it throttle. When it doesn't die it runs great. It also dies now when I put it in reverse. I have played with the idle screw but it didn't do anything. I have also run Sea Foam through it.

Any ideas what to look at? As always, I appreciate your help. I am at a loss as to where to look. Thank you.

Torin

P 0 P E Y E

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Dies when giving it throttle and putting in reverse

Could be a bunch of things in a 1986 boat.

If you are going to experiment by moving screws be careful not to loose reference of where the settings were before you move them or better yet look at th book and get a grasp on what the screw does before you move it (just a suggestion)

The choke is easy to check should be closed at rest on a cold engine, should be open on a warm engine.

Things you can check would be the mounting gasket and hardware for leaks or loose fasteners, any vacuum hoses, idle rpm and mixture settings.

If all check out perhaps the carb needs a rebuild

Thanks for the replies. I have fixed my original post to include OMC if that is what you were looking for Bond-O.

Popeye, I will take your advice and look for leaks etc... I think a carb rebuild might be in order though. I have only messed with one screw for the idle, so not much changed throughout this process.

Thanks again for your help.

Torin

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Is the engine dying or more like shutting off like when the shift interrupt switch is doing it. Is it happening when AS you shift or AS you throttle up.

What's the idle RPM?

Are you getting gas from accelerator pump?

You just may need the low speed air screws adjusted.

Just dying, not stuttering. It dies as soon as I try to increase the RPM. If I throttle it, it starts to die and then I take it back to neutral and it saves it from dying. I can rev it up if I crank the throttle forward until it starts to die and then back to neutral and then right back to throttle, then it catches and works. I know it sounds weird but that's the only way to throttle it. So, I guess it dies AS I am throttling it. But it dies as soon as I shift into reverse but not when I shift into forward.

Idle RPM is right around 1000, I think from memory. It performs this way in and out of the water. Seems to idle well. Any help is appreciated.

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Get that idle RPM down. You will damage the drive trying to shift at that high RPM.

Sounds like you accelerator pump is shot. Get the carb rebuilt or do it yourself.