Dies at idle (Rick or Joe)...

rboat99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK, so I rebuilt the 4 carbs on my engine and also replaced two primer hoses that were busted. I took her out and she runs great wide open, but now I have a new problem of dying at idle. In gear if I got below about 1200 RPM she would cough and sputter and then died.<br /><br />I thought about raising the idle but I wasn't sure how. I checked the manual and it talks about adjusting the idle timing but I didn't want to get into all that since I have never done it.<br /><br />Can I just turn the idle up?

rboat99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Dies at idle (Rick or Joe)...

Can I use this procedure I found from Joe Reeves? I have to adjustment screws on the carbs, one is an intermediate adjustment screw....<br /><br />You asked:<br /><br />1. Make adjustments in forward while in water, correct? = (No, in neutral. Makes no difference whether in water or on a flushette)<br /><br />2. What about timing, as the idle stop screw moves the spark control lever, do I need to be concerned about 1ATDC+/-1 at 800 rpm? = (Not unless you've changed the factory setting)<br /><br />3. Once idle is adjusted, having moved the spark control lever (via idle stop) do I need to verify 19 BTDC max advance? = (Again, not unless you've changed the factory setting)<br /><br />4. I have the Factory OMC Service Manual, why isn't your adjustment method listed? = (It may be but worded differently)<br /><br />5. Should I target 800 rpm as slowest idle? = (Whatever the manual calls for)<br /><br />EDIT: 09/13/03 - 10:41am<br /><br />If adjusting the idle on a flushette, set the idle to 1000 rpm if a 20" shaft engine, 1200 rpm if a 25" shaft engine.

bounder4465

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the float levels are right, new seat and gaskets, and the passages cleaned...then the throttle linkage may be out of adjustment. The throttle plates should be closed at an idle. If they are closed check the bore where the throttle shaft passes through the carb housing for wear. If worn they will allow an excess of air to lean the motor out at an idle.<br />just my $0.02

rboat99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry, I copied the wrong part of Joes post. Here's the right one.<br /><br />(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)<br /><br />Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns. (All carbs at the same time)<br /><br />(On the following adjustment, finish one carb before going on to the next one, then double check the adjustments).<br /><br />Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.<br /><br />Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting. <br /><br />When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

rboat99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I didn't have this problem before rebuilding the carbs so hopefully it's not the throttle plates, maybe I can just adjust the idle a little.<br /><br />After looking at the manual I am not sure if I have an adjustable slow speed needle valve. What I have on the are idle and intermediate air bleed orifices. Anyone know how to adjust mine?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

There are no adjustments on those carburetors. Did you by any chance get the intermideate and slow speed air bleed jets mixed up that are in the front portion of all the carburetors?<br /><br />The top jet is the intermideate jet. The one under it in the slow speed jet. I don't know about the sea drive model but the 1989 140 outboard models use:<br /><br />Intermideate jet = 54 (top)<br /><br />Slow Speed = 41 (lower)<br /><br />The numbers are imprinted on the jets themselves.

rboat99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I probably did, I didn't know they were different. Thanks, you're the man.

skeffer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Will this work on my 71 60hp evenrude that has three carbs??