DIDN'T ADD OIL! aauugh

Deimus

Petty Officer 2nd Class
caught up int he moment and the oil jug was blocked by kitchen sink ETC.

added 8 gallons to 18 gallon tank normally ran at 40 to 1. told wifey remember 8 gallons. end of weeekend, no issues, asked me on drive home. "why did you ask me to remember 8 gallons when we left the house"

"OOOOH S#!+ I said"

I NEVER ADDED THE OIL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I kill her?(the engine) add more next time? run it like ya stole it??

P.S. running like a striped assed ape so far

'88 125, 19 prop, 15" V hull, 61.5 GPS

reelfishin

Captain
Re: DIDN'T ADD OIL! aauugh

I find that many people tend to over oil an outboard that runs off an in-hull tank. Especially when adding oil to partial fill ups. Chances are you had extra oil already in the existing mix that was enough to save it from any serious damage.

Many outboards will run absolutely fantastic with less or no oil, but only once.
Pure fuel is far more combustible than premix with oil.

I also wouldn't take any bets that you would get lucky a second time though.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

How much fuel was in the tank before you added the 8 gallons?

If you had 8 gallons of fuel, mixed at 40:1, you added 8 gallons of gas, now you have 16 at 80:1. Your motor can live on that.

If you had 10 gallons of fuel mixed at 40:1, then added 8 gallons of gasoline, the final ratio is 64:1, which is even better.

But, if you only had a gallon in the tank, then added 8 gallons of gas and no oil....... better start praying.

Likely the motor will be fine.
I would add a few ounces of oil to the tank and let it be.

Deimus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it had about ten i guess, i filled her up to top and took 8. figured some one could do the math for me. I hear of people runnin at 100:1 alot, not recomended but they do it. I feal a little better now.

Thanks guys!!