Did I screw up?

Kettler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Removed my lower unit from my 1986 evinrude 40 hp to replace my water pump.

Impeller was frozen on drive shaft and I applied penetrating oil and after awhile tried to break free the impeller with a screw driver underneath it and some taps with a mallet.

The drive shaft seemed to have popped up a 1/4 inch and when turned and in gear the prop shaft didn't spin.

I tapped the impeller/shaft back down and the prop shaft now spins in forward and reverse, am I ok or do I have to open everything up?

Impeller still on shaft but now waiting patiently for the oil to work.

Any ideas?

jasper60103

Commander
Re: Did I screw up?

Just an FYI. You may find it easier to install the new impeller with the drive shaft removed from the gear case. In fact, that's what the instructions say that came with my water pump kit for my '88 30 hp. The new style plastic wedge impeller key can be difficult to line up otherwise.

edit:
I'm willing to bet your impeller is not froze to the drive shaft. Just locked on with impeller key. Pull the drive shaft out and gently tap the impeller off.

Kettler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Did I screw up?

My Seloc manual says that whatever you do don't pull up on the drive shaft and thats what I think happened when I tried to pop the impeller free.