Did I hurt a cylinder?

MakoNY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Started my '97 115 after sitting for the winter, and it started right up, but it wasn't running on all cylinders. It was idling low and you could just hear that maybe one cylinder wasn't firing.

I shut it down, made sure all the the wires were on tight, and re-started, and it still wasn't hitting on all 4. I let it run for a couple minutes like that, and then I revved it up real quick for a second and it started running normally, you could hear it was running on all 4 after that, and it was idling at normal RPM.

I think one or two cylinders weren't getting fuel, maybe a float was stuck after sitting for the winter, and when I revved it up the carb cleared out or the float un stuck and it started supplying fuel.

Did I hurt a cylinder or two by running it dry for a few minutes, possibly without fuel/oil mix?

cannonford57

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Did I hurt a cylinder?

probly not mako,a quick compression check would verify

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Keep in mind that if a cylinder isn't getting fuel it isn't getting oil either. While the motor doesn't require a lot of oil at idle you don't want to run it under a load before the carbs are all cleaned.

Yes, a compression test is in order. Probably OK but it needs to be checked.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

It's also possible that you just had a lot of fogging oil in it, assuming you fogged it, and maybe had a plug not firing right, until you revved it and cleared it out a bit, and then that plug or plugs started firing correctly.

If you had a carb not letting fuel in on that motor, you'd have 2 cylinders missing, as each carb supplies 2 cylinders.

I agree, I don't think running at idle for a minute or two would do too much harm, especially if there was fogging oil all inside of it.