Did I do any damage?

SWFLTom

Cadet
Yesteday I took the boat out for a bit....when started it up I forgot to fully lower the outdrive. I put it in reverse and heard one hell of a racket. I put it back in neutral and found the problem and lowered the outdrive. No more noise in reverse after that. No leaks from the bellows or anything like that.<br /><br />Did i do any damage?<br /><br />Tom

Straightup

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Did I do any damage?

If everything appears normal, you may have gotten away OK. I'd switch from forward to reverse many times testing before I got too far out on the lake if I was you. From reading your post it sounds like you may be in the clear.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Year, make, model? Depends what you've got. Was the outdrive actually out of the water when you started it? If yes, then I'd probably recommend replacing your raw water impeller since it was run dry. This is normal maintenance every few years anyway. Do it now before it self-destructs and overheats your motor.

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

IMO, I don't think it did any major damage. Since you had it running for only a few minutes.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Should be OK. The noise was likely the outdrive not fully engaging reverse, due to the drive being up and the shift cable being pulled funny. Not theoretically supposed to happen with a sheathed cable, but it does. Just don't do that again! :D

SWFLTom

Cadet

Originally posted by Stiff Nibbles:<br /> Should be OK. The noise was likely the outdrive not fully engaging reverse, due to the drive being up and the shift cable being pulled funny. Not theoretically supposed to happen with a sheathed cable, but it does. Just don't do that again! :D
YEA! That was probably it. I do recall it not going all the way into gear. Thanks!

novicetech

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did the same thing last weekend so dont feel bad, I did however look down and made sure that the water pick up was in the water, I have an alpha one.

mercrewser

Petty Officer 1st Class

At my ramp EVERYBODY does this ALL the time. Your fine.