Diagnostic Software

bucky4

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone know where you can get diagnostic software and a laptop cable for a 97 150hp :D Johnson FFI?<br /><br />I had one major incident with mine (blown #6 cylinder) in Aug. 98, but thank the good Lord, it has been running ok since, er... as well as can be expected. <br /><br />Also, does anyone know if there have been upgrades to these engines since they came out? <br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />jim :D

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: Diagnostic Software

Any dealer can order the software disk and the adapter cable for a laptop with a serial port. The '97 and '98 FICHTS with the aircooled computers (ECU) cannot use the new Palm Pilot software.<br /><br />Mid '97 there was an update that included hose clamps, float setting change, etc., but it wasn't anything major. Just keep FICHT Ram oil in it and prop it for the top rpm range.

bucky4

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Seahorse. I did get the first upgrade on my engine as you mentioned. However, mine also included a software upgrade as well. Knock on wood, the engine has been performing well except for the annoying plug fouling at the low end. I've tried several sets of Champions without success. Next, I'm going to try Autolite and then NGK and see how they perform. Do you know anything about those brands? <br /><br />Do you know if Johnson/Bombardier is doing anything about improving the performance of these early Fichts? Obviously, they are all out of warranty, but with the history of problems they've had, I would hope they wouldn't hang us out to dry! <br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />jim :D

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Bombardier is not hanging you out to dry, but they are not spending any bucks to make any changes to the older motors. Replacement parts will have to meet their quality control specs, though.<br /><br />If you are fouling the Champion 7712 plugs, use the big block FICHT plugs, QC12PEP by Champion. They seem to work better. Make sure the thermostats are keeping the cylinderheads around 140 degrees to help slow down any fouling. If it ia just one or two cylinders fouling, check if the pulse lines from the oil pump or the fuel pump go to those cylinders. You might have a leaking diaphragm.

bucky4

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the tip about the diaphram; however, I don't believe that is a problem. All the plugs foul out. In fact, they have always fouled at low speeds from day one. (Yes, I even index them too.) The Champion 2412 originally came installed in the engine and it is what I've been using until recently. What is the 7712 you mentioned? What's the difference between the 7712 and the QC12PEP?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

For the last several years, the 7712 was the recommended plug for motors 175hp and lower that did not have the "pinned" heads installed. I've found that the QC12PEP seems to last longer with less fouling. The old 2412's would only last about 30 or 40 hours if you were lucky.

bucky4

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Seahorse for the plug info. I'll give the QC type a try. <br /><br />Obviously, mine does not have them, but can you please explain pinned heads.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Pinned heads have the deflector inside the combustion chamber. They are on 2000 and later 60 degree motors, and were retrofitted on the '98 and '99 troublesome FICHTS. They will fit on yours, but your computer does not have the capacity for the required software. <br /><br />Find a July Bass and Walley Boats magazine for a FICHT repair article that explains servicing and the FICHT differences.