Dhadley Thank You, Thank You, Thank You

robert.barnes

Seaman
mr dale i would like to thank u forall your help i took the boat t the lake today after installing the newer style thermos run for 1 1/2 hour with no warning horn boat ran good but i have two more ??

1 boat idles good when cold now with thermos when motor warms up it does not want to idle if you bump the throtle lever it runs beter if u hit the primer it dies so this leads me to thank its rich the idle jets r 42 and i have a set of 43 so i will try this if u thank it i might be right also the idle adjustment seems not to help with the idle speed what so ever and the advance plate is moving

2 my boat is a nitro 16.9 foot 1985 evinrude 120 i am running a 6 inch hyjacker jack plate with a four blade 14.5 x 21 stainless prop the boat takes off beter if the trim is half instead of all the way down do i need a three blade ( if so would i go up or down or stay the same on pitch )or just adjust the jack plate . thank u so much oh ya the boat runs 5700 rpm 51 mph

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Dhadley Thank You, Thank You, Thank You

Glad that helped. Yes, try the larger idle jets - that will lean it down some. When it's not idleing good is the jackplate all the way down? If so try moving it up some. At idle with the boat not moving or barely moving there's a lot of backpressure (water) in the mid section. Raising the motor up will help relieve that. Even tilting it up some may help.

On boats that sit low in the water at the stern it's not unusual to have to raise the plate at idle and then drop it some to get on plane and then move it back up for top speed.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Just a bystander watching the ball, but the tilt idea sounds like a great idea; easy to do. But how much trouble is it to raise/lower a jack plate? Do they come with hydraulic control? How do you know where you have it.........just by performance or is there some type of indicator; do you just look back at your engine?

Thanks,

Mark

robert.barnes

Seaman

the jack plate is sitting a little more than half more on the raised side but the motor is bolted in the top holes so i have about four inches there to play with looking at the boats at the boat shop the motors ar still a litlle higher than mine were they bolt up so i think i will go ahead and raise it the motor when tilted down is sitting in the water were the exaust holes below the cowling are still in the water so i think it needs to come up a hvae no water pressure issues on plane so i think i still have some room

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

If the exahust pressure relief holes are sitting in the water, I'd say you definitely need to raise it up, they're not doing you much good if they are fighting against the water also.

robert.barnes

Seaman

i have a manual jack plate u adjust it and leave it i think dhadley was talking about the tilt and trim sorry about my last post i cant even make since out of what i typed

Esox

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just a bystander watching the ball, but the tilt idea sounds like a great idea; easy to do. But how much trouble is it to raise/lower a jack plate? Do they come with hydraulic control? How do you know where you have it.........just by performance or is there some type of indicator; do you just look back at your engine?
Thanks,​

Mark

Mark,

Check out bobs machine shop. They have both manual and hydraulic plates. Of course, hydraulic is easier to raise lower (even under full power)if you want to spend the $$$. They also have a nifty LED gauge for use with the hydraulic units that will indicate the height in 1/4" increments.​