DHadley....Can you help?

wdudley

Cadet
I have a 68 Johnson 55hp 3cyl. and yes hydro electric shift. The brass plunger rod broke but I know the solenoids are good. Any way to replace the rod? Is it possible to disassemble this unit? I have another unit with bad solenoids. Can you tell me how to test these units? Thanks for any help.<br />Will

CAPTBLACKSMARINE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: DHadley....Can you help?

MY BEST ADVICE FOR YOU WOULD BE TO GO BUY A FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL ,I WOULD NOT RECOMEND ATTEMPTING TO DIAGNOSE OR REPLACE THE PIECES YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT WITH OUT ONE ON HAND .BUT IF YOU GET THE RIGHT MANUAL YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO THE JOB.AND YES YOU CAN REPLACE JUST THE ROD THAT RUNS THROUGH THE SOLENOIDS.

CAPTBLACKSMARINE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

MY BEST ADVICE FOR YOU WOULD BE TO GO BUY A FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL ,I WOULD NOT RECOMEND ATTEMPTING TO DIAGNOSE OR REPLACE THE PIECES YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT WITH OUT ONE ON HAND .BUT IF YOU GET THE RIGHT MANUAL YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO THE JOB.AND YES YOU CAN REPLACE JUST THE ROD THAT RUNS THROUGH THE SOLENOIDS.

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Have you dropped the leg off?<br /><br />How do you know the plunger broke?<br /><br />if so, at the front of the leg should be a small coverplate with 2 wires coming out..<br /><br />take the cover off and with it lift the 2 soleniods out..<br /><br />if the plunger is broken, make sure you get the broken piece out as well.<br /><br />check it against the other one you have and don't put it in unless they match exactly..<br /><br /><br />I don't know your exact engine, but my 100HP Johnson has a hydro electric gearcase and I recently had cause to pull it apart.. (about 3 weeks ago.)<br /><br />(check the archives, we posted pics and everything..)<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />frank

wdudley

Cadet

Thanks guys for responding. I have removed the solenoid units from the lower unit and the brass plunger was broke close to the bottom, at the threaded portion. I purchased another used lower unit, but I couldn't get a reading (following the book) on the solenoids from the used lower unit. I have located used and new units, out of state, but these are really expensive. I'd like to be real sure weather the used units are bad.<br />I do know that there are at least two different types of solenoid units for the same 55hp motor. One unit can be disassembled, just as the manual says, I happen to have the one that can't. Unless someone knows how to remove the brass plunger from the upper solenoid's piston.(if that's what it's called)Then between the two units, I could reassemble a working unit.<br />Thanks for any help Folks